After two years of negative results, with more than 45 million euro of compensation in the 2020 and 2021 campaigns, last year, garlic insurance -which gives ample coverage to the main risks of the crop, such as persistent rain or hail- returned to normal.
There were much fewer losses, 1,695 hectares were assessed throughout the province of Albacete and compensation reached 358,000 euro. There were 154 incidents, most of them caused by hail. The most important one was recorded in the municipality of Tobarra, in El Torrejón.
In the last production season, there was a certain recovery in the cultivation of purple garlic varieties. In the previous year, 4,010 hectares of purple garlic were planted, accounting for 41% of the cultivated area. Spring garlic accounted for the remaining 59%. It's worth noting that this is the first time, in recent years, that the cultivated area of two large varietal groups has been so close.
In this campaign, the conditioning of this line presents few variations. The most important one is the increase in subsidies provided by the Ministry of Agriculture through ENESA. In all assurance modules, the base grant has been increased by ten points. This increase in the level of aid, in module 2, which with 6,750 hectares insured brings together 70% of the contracting in the province, will mean that the policies will be 18% cheaper.
In the 2022 campaign, the capital insured in the line stood at 128 million euro and the farmers of the province received 3.42 million euro in State subsidies for the payment of the policy.