Classic Fruit Company announced that its Guatemalan farming operation, Classic Guatemala, has earned the Rainforest Alliance certification. Classic Fruit is committed to supporting long-term sustainability and the quality of life for its farm workers, their families, communities and the global environment.
“We are very proud of the efforts our team at Classic Guatemala accomplished to implement the high standards set forth to obtain the Rainforest Alliance Certification that will provide sustainability to our farming operations in Guatemala,” said Paul Raggio, President of Classic Fruit. “We look forward to prominently displaying the exclusive Rainforest Alliance tree frog logo on our cartons and PLU stickers to provide confidence to our customers and the end user that Classic Fruit prioritizes sustainably produced melons and is committed to being environmentally, socially and economically responsible.”
The Rainforest Alliance program ensures rigorous sustainable agriculture standards are met that conserve biodiversity and provide sustainability in livelihoods.
Being a Rainforest Alliance certified melon producer means:
- Producing melons with respect for the environment and providing good and fair working conditions for our employees
- Good agricultural practices such as strict control of agrochemicals, conservation of water and soils and integrated waste management are part of this comprehensive standard
- Protection of ecosystems and biodiversity are essential environmental criteria
- Social criteria include health and safety requirements and mandates compliance with labor rights requirements
- Employees and their families have access to health care, education and recreational facilities