- UK & IRL Avocado Trader
- Managing Director, UK
- Teelt Specialist Potplanten
- Sales Manager Bio / Netherlands
- Production Manager
- Assistant Professor - Controlled Environments Entomologist
- Technical Development Specialist | Horticulture | France
- Director of Business Development | Middle East | Agtech
- Farm/Production Manager; Berlin (m/w/d)
- Trader Asian Market
Top 5 -yesterday
- Smallest Washington apple crop in more than 20 years
- Mexico and Peru became top berry producers in just 10 years
- "There is a high demand for large oranges and good quality clementines”
- South African exports feeling the squeeze
- Late Lunar New Year offers opportunity to expose brand to a lot of potential new customers
Top 5 -last week
- “I don’t know how blueberry farmers are going to survive”
- South African orange shipment reveals R75 million worth of cocaine
- Shelf-life extension technology reduces brown stems in grapes
- “Laser micro-perforated bags extend bananas' shelf life by three weeks”
- Blueberries will be the main focus at the next Macfrut
Top 5 -last month
UK seed potato industry sets new export record
“This year, despite the testing conditions experienced by growers, we have achieved another record for our exports of seed potatoes,” says Potato Council head of seed and export Rob Burns, who has recently returned from a successful Potato Europe.
“Key areas of growth have been the North African countries and the Middle East, thanks in part to careful development of seed potatoes to ensure great results in varying climatic conditions. This is really exciting news as these markets are developing, and should show important growth in the coming years.”
Mr Burns attributes the success to the professionalism of exporters, combined with Potato Council’s work with overseas governments to help smooth the path for international import conditions. Independent specialist advice from Mylnefield Research and from Science and Advice for Scottish Agriculture (SASA) plus support from the Scottish government is also key to achieving a strong export position for varieties from GB.
“Moreover, by establishing an important presence at targeted international events such as Potato Europe and Fruit Logistica, we are helping our exporters to enjoy a higher profile for a modest cost when they share the stand with us. At Potato Europe this year, we again achieved a significant increase in footfall on our stand, which will further help our exporters to build trade.”
Potato Council assists importers and exporters by working closely with the authorities in importing countries, so importers can have confidence that their high quality seed potatoes will arrive in good time, adds Mr Burns. British seed potatoes are successfully produced for fresh and processed markets in countries as diverse as Egypt, South America and Asia.
“Our success in the export markets is mainly due to a winning combination of professionalism, teamwork and offering the different markets what they need, with timely delivery assured,” he concludes.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-12-08 “We’ve started using drip irrigation systems for onion cultivation”
- 2022-12-08 Overview of 2022 Canadian potato production
- 2022-12-08 Oregon Snake River Produce partners with Texas-based Murray Logistics
- 2022-12-08 Farmland Partners purchases 3,843 acres in Texas
- 2022-12-08 Spud King has plan to save WA from potato crisis
- 2022-12-08 French fry import tariffs remain a ‘hot potato’ – stakeholders
- 2022-12-07 Moldovan onions most expensive in last 5 years
- 2022-12-07 "Launching these two new references on the market is a very important milestone for our cooperative"
- 2022-12-07 Georgian onion prices spike again
- 2022-12-07 Pakistan still main export destination for Uzbek onions
- 2022-12-07 EAC embarks on project to improve regional trade in seed potatoes
- 2022-12-06 Smuggled white onions worth $35k found in Manila raid
- 2022-12-06 Europe's largest sweet potato-producing region is located in Cadiz
- 2022-12-06 Doing more with fewer people
- 2022-12-05 "Global demand for frozen potato products remains high"
- 2022-12-05 Potatoes, carrots, parsnips part of more expensive UK 2022 Christmas dinner
- 2022-12-05 The future of roots and tubers under one CGIAR
- 2022-12-02 Governor Lacson wants more storage facilities for onions
- 2022-12-02 'Season of early Cypriot potatoes will begin soon'
- 2022-12-02 "Early switch from Spanish, Egyptian sweet potatoes to U.S. expected"