- Sales Representative Southeastern US
- Bedding and Perennials Sales Manager Europe
- Ein- und Verkäufer Obst
- Horticultural Technician
- Head Grower Strawberries, Norway
- Tissue Culture Laboratory Scientist
- Manager Operations & Logistics
- Vegetable Advisor (Permanent)
- Horticultural Commercial Director
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- "Consumers will happily pay two euros for a Mars bar or can of Coke but not for their veg”
- Supermarkets limiting sales of veg per customer
- “Fruit industry in the Eastern Cape is facing a perfect storm”
- Eastern buyers prefer the taste of South African Grannies
- Durian smell forces Turkish Airlines flight to turn back
Mexico: Sonora's pecan nut will generate 2,000 million pesos
The pecan nut harvest began in Sonora and, according to expectations, production will amount to just over 15,000 tons worth over 2,000 million pesos, said industry sources.
The head of the Ministry of Agriculture, Water Resources, Fisheries and Aquaculture (SAGARHPA), Julio Cesar Corona Valenzuela, said that the quality of the nut produced in the state had improved greatly.
He said this has allowed the state to position the nut in the domestic market as well as in international markets, to the point that the pecan nut from Sonora had great acceptance in eastern countries.
Almost 80 percent of Sonora's pecan nut production is destined for the Chinese market, he said.
The official stressed that one of the advantages of growing this nut was that it had one of the highest yields per cubic meter of water. As a result, he said, the surface of this crop in the state increased from 3,000 hectares in 2006 to nearly 13,000 in 2015.
He also said that this perennial crop had been distributed in various regions of the state territory and that the agricultural zone of Hermosillo had 61 percent of the established surface.
Corona Valenzuela said that, as a result of this growth, it had become the second largest national producer, only behind the neighboring state of Chihuahua.
The value of Sonora's pecan nut production, he said, went from some 650 million pesos in 2010 to over 2,000 million pesos during 2016.
According to Sagarhpa, Sonora has 12,748 hectares with pecan trees in 10 producing areas.
Sonora produces Western, Wichita and Mahan pecan nuts. The harvest is done manually and last year it created 283,000 jobs in the state.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-03-24 Kashmir Valley markets witness rush as people stock up on dates
- 2023-03-22 "During the festival of Ramadan, we sell jumbo Medjoul dates by the pallet"
- 2023-03-22 Australia: Wet weather leads to fewer almonds harvested than forecast
- 2023-03-20 60 thousand tons of walnuts are grown in Ukraine every year
- 2023-03-20 US almond prices rebound from 20-year low to hit 11-month high
- 2023-03-17 Iran: Agrifood exports hit $4.5-bln mark
- 2023-03-16 California’s atmospheric river storm strengthens almond markets
- 2023-03-16 "We produce macadamia nuts via over 7,000 certified organic smallholder farmers"
- 2023-03-15 "The trick lies in introducing Bahri dates to Western European consumers"
- 2023-03-14 Almond industry in Kashmir on the decline
- 2023-03-09 Record US almond shipments expected in February
- 2023-03-09 Nutworks launches line-up of new retail products into Australian grocery channels
- 2023-03-08 Brazil nut prices drop on weaker consumer demand
- 2023-03-08 Egypt sets out to turn dates to flagship export product
- 2023-03-07 "Raw material prices have fallen for walnuts, almonds and particularly macadamia nuts"
- 2023-03-07 Pistachio figures in Italy and all over the world
- 2023-03-06 Mobile robot stars in pistachio brand’s “Get Crackin’” ad
- 2023-03-06 Despite the effect of the drought, Uruguay inflation was controlled in February
- 2023-03-06 The price for walnut kernels has risen in Moldova due to internal reasons
- 2023-03-06 Georgian hazelnut exports in February were the highest in the last seven years