- Teeltspecialisten Engeland
- Commercial Support Coordinator (32-40 hours)
- Quality Assurance Manager
- Sr Construction Project Manager
- China country manager
- Commercial Key Account Manager
- Agriculture Sales engineer France & European zone
- Area Sales Manager Benelux
- Cultivation specialist / Growers for Amerika
- Tissue Culture Lab / Operations Manager
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
- ‘EU citrus ban due to false codling moth not politically motivated’
- Something sweet out of the bitterness of a citrus season gone awry
- GLOBAL MARKET OVERVIEW GARLIC
- "We have noticed that oranges are losing ground and mandarin consumption is on the rise"
- Consumers are buying more frozen vegetables because they are a healthy cheaper option
Top 5 -last month
- Vegetable trade war between Botswana and South Africa escalates
- Europe puts a lid on organic orange production in South Africa
- Citrus exporter: Appeal to shipping lines met with “an arrogance that astonishes me”
- Faster avocado growing method developed by Israeli researchers
- New potato disease found in North Dakota and Minnesota
KWS to focus on hybrid potato breeding
KWS sells seed potato business to Stet Holland
The KWS Group’s seed potato business is steered by its subsidiary KWS POTATO B.V., which is based in Emmeloord, the Netherlands. Varieties and potato breeding material dedicated to French fries, crisps and table potatoes for traditional export markets are to be sold to Stet Holland BV, a Dutch company also based in Emmeloord.
“The future owner Stet Holland is positioned for a successful continuation of our conventional potato business while KWS will fully focus its efforts in potato utilizing its resources and know-how as a breeder to develop hybrid varieties,” noted Peter Hofmann, member of the Executive Board of KWS SAAT SE. “Hybrid breeding in potato and multiplication via seed instead of tubers is an entirely new but highly promising approach that has considerable advantages compared to conventional breeding. We have been working in this innovative field since 2011 and have achieved significant progress in the meantime.” Hofmann added.
Peter Ton, General Manager of Stet Holland commented on the acquisition, “KWS’ seed potato business is an excellent fit for Stet as the markets for the current KWS and Stet varieties are very complementary to each other. Taking over KWS’ variety portfolio, seed potato production, and sales channels will enable us to create synergies and gain presence in key markets and specific processing segments. KWS’ varieties, breeding material and expert employees, combined with a good customer base, will help us to strengthen Stet’s position in the seed potato market.”
Both parties have agreed not to disclose the financial terms of this transaction.
KWS will continue its hybrid potato breeding activities under the roof of KWS POTATO B.V. The breeding station in Emmeloord, the Netherlands, is an important part of KWS’ global research network and offers excellent conditions for these activities.
For more information:
Stet Holland BV
Tel: +31 527 630 063
KWS POTATO B.V.
Tel: +31 527 248 069
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-09-30 Quebec produce brand receives a makeover
- 2022-09-30 IFPA celebrates Tom Stenzel’s service to produce industry
- 2022-09-30 Mission Produce hosts 10th golf tournament fundraiser
- 2022-09-30 Mercadona, Carrefour and Lidl strengthen their leadership as DIA's and Eroski's market share falls
- 2022-09-30 "Interest from the Spanish market has so far been tremendous"
- 2022-09-30 Former SPC director Reg Weine joins APAL
- 2022-09-30 Retilplast will attend the Madrid fair to assess the market for the next few months
- 2022-09-30 Seed meets Technology: Anticipation through innovation
- 2022-09-30 Fyffes focuses on access to healthy nutrition by fighting food loss
- 2022-09-29 State of Oregon fines Hermiston potato processing plant for groundwater contamination
- 2022-09-29 IFPA announces Advocate of the Year at The Washington Conference
- 2022-09-29 Getting orders straight from the plant
- 2022-09-29 Awe Sum Organics makes key hires to support the launch of organic avocados
- 2022-09-29 Francisco José Gómez elected as new president of Freshuelva
- 2022-09-29 Freshmax New Zealand pipfruit sold
- 2022-09-29 Pinduoduo Takes Part in G20 Global Forum on Digital Agriculture
- 2022-09-28 World’s largest container line MSC enters air cargo market
- 2022-09-28 Mash Direct secures major food deal with Tesco in England and Wales
- 2022-09-28 Alan Lieberman joins Southern Specialties
- 2022-09-28 Monterey Mushrooms adds to executive team