The Growing Change project helps growers navigate the government's Resource Management (Freshwater Farm Plans) Regulations 2023, which aim to address the decline in New Zealand's freshwater quality.
Freshwater farm plan regulations
The 2023 Freshwater Farm Plan regulations have taken effect (from 1 August 2023) in parts of Waikato and Southland. Other regions are confirming their rollout, which will happen before the end of 2025.
Who needs a certified freshwater farm plan under the regulations? All those with:
- 5 hectares or more in horticultural use
- 20 hectares or more in arable or pastoral use
- 20 hectares or more of combined use
What are freshwater farm plans?
Freshwater farm plans are a way for growers to identify and manage freshwater risks from their growing operation using a toolbox of actions. On-farm actions will be tailored to each farm based on the landscape, activities, and local catchment.
Recent Growing Change workshop in Pukekohe
Who is the Growing Change project supporting?
Growing Change will deliver ten catchment projects to support growers with freshwater farm plans in the following high-priority regions where higher water risks exist:
- Waimea, Tasman (Mark 2023-24)
- Mangawhero River, Ohakune (Mark 2023-24)
- Pukekohe, Waikato & Auckland (Arjune 2023-24)
- Horowhenua Lakes and Streams, Manawatu-Whanganui (Arjune 2023-24)
- Northern Wairoa River & Kaipara Harbour, Northland (Arjune not started 2024-25)
- Clutha-Mata-au, Otago (Chelsea 2023-24)
- Selwyn-Waihora, Canterbury (Chelsea 2023-24)
- Kaituna, Bay of Plenty (not started 2024-25)
- Karamu Stream & Clive Rivers, Hawkes Bay (not started 2024-25)
- Waipaoa River & Poverty Bay, Gisborne (not started 2024-25)
How are catchment growers supported?
We have dedicated Regional Extension Officers to support growers through the catchment projects. By signing up, growers will receive the following support free of charge:
- NZGAP Environment Management System (EMS) Add-on registration and mapping
- One-on-one advisor support time to complete the EMS add-on (available to all GAP-certified growers)
- Technical workshops for additional support
For more information:
Tel.: +64 027 336 4994
Tel.: +64 027 322 5644