Ecuador, the world leader in banana exports, has seen a -6,42% decrease, that is 22.24 million fewer boxes, in exports from January to November 2022, compared to the same period last year. Exports decreased to Africa by -36.11%, US with -13.32% and Oceania with -11.73%. The Russian war in Ukraine, strikes earlier in the year as well as cold weather were some of the major factors that contributed to the lower volumes.
According to the latest statistics released by the Association of Banana Exporters of Ecuador (AEBE): “Regarding the summary of the Banana Weekly Market Sense for the month of November, it should be noted that, at the level of sales in dollars, the barometer presented a downward trend in the global consensus of value chain experts, going from 2.25 in the week 45 to 2.19 reported in week 48. Indicating that sales in dollars decreased in the sector.”
Regarding the level of sales by volume, the barometer showed an increasing trend in the global consensus of value chain experts, going from 2.25 in week 45 to 2.39 reported in week 48. Indicating that sales volume grew in the sector.
The top three export markets are the European Union in first place with 26.09%, Russia with 23.44% and the Middle East with 15.55%. These three markets acquired 65.08% of the Ecuadorian banana supply.
In terms of production areas in Ecuador, Guayaquil leads the participation of boxes sent by port with the shipment of 64.86% of the total boxes exported, followed by Puerto Bolívar that sent 23.56%. Posorja had a participation of 11.58%.
Out of a total of 3232.97 million boxes exported up to November 2022, 85.69% correspond to containers and the remaining 14.31% were exported in bulk. The top three exporters by brand is Dole in first place with 10.48%, followed by Bonita with 3.76% participation and in third place is Primadonna with 3.59%.
The average number of sheaths in November 2022, which corresponds to weeks 44 to 48, in the province of Los Ríos was 41.59. Meanwhile, in the province of Guayas it was 34.66 sheaths per week. Finally, the weekly production average in El Oro was 31.76 sheaths. Nationwide, an average of 36.51 sheaths was recorded.
For more information:
Jose Antonio Hidalgo
Tel: +593 96 402 9141