Nice Filler has patented a technology called Cronogard to extend the shelf-life and preserve the quality and freshness of food. It is an innovative system that introduces functional molecules into packaging materials, anchored on inorganic surfaces, to protect food in a controlled way.
Cronogard is an additive based on an edible and biocompatible compound developed for packaging made of plastic, biopolimers, cardboard, and aluminum. It reduces the formation of biofilms, inhibiting the microbial growth responsible for organoleptic deterioration inside packets while guaranteeing protection. In addition, it reduces packaging permeability as it acts as a barrier. A biofilm is a viscous film made of yeasts, bacteria, and organic polymers that adheres to the walls of any material enabling microbial colonization and proliferation.
"Fruit and vegetables are also compatible. The incorporation of the Cronogard additive also improves mechanical, thermal, and barrier properties. Normal packaging has much higher concentrations of micro-organisms than Cronograd. The growth of Pseudomonas and Escherichia Coli in Cronogard is much lower than the reference. The former shows a marked difference after 30-45 days, while for the latter, the bacteria drops after 72 hours."
"Cronogard is a family of products suitable for specific food categories. To enable the application of the Cronogard technology, Nice Filler provides, according to the type of food to preserve, specific Masterbatches for each polymer and coating varnishes."
Cronogard boasts multiple innovative advantages:
- The protective action remains effective as the temperature increases (it also protects against sudden temperature changes).
- It enables a wider distribution, opening new markets to fresh and highly perishable products (e.g., fresh-cut products, berries, mozzarella, etc.).
- It extends the shelf-life of food, preserving its intrinsic qualities and organoleptic and nutritional qualities.
- It helps reduce the use of preservatives.
- It is eco-friendly thanks to the type of packaging materials to which it is applied.
- It significantly reduces food waste.
The increasing demand for ready-to-eat food, the globalization of commerce, and the distribution from centralized processing facilities are generating the need to keep ensuring and increasing the safety and quality of food. With this in mind, the concept of total quality of food products is becoming increasingly popular, including not only raw materials and process technology but also the packaging.
It is, therefore, necessary to solve various problems such as:
- Respect for the environment: the global food packaging industry is looking for sustainable solutions that use recyclable, compostable, and eco-friendly materials.
- Food safety: over the past few years, there has been a significant increase in some dangerous food infections (Campilobatteri, Salmonella, Listeria, Escherichia Coli), and products that guarantee better protection are required.
- Food waste: 931 million tons of food are wasted every year (FAO 2021). Innovative packaging that extends the shelf-life of food is required to fight this problem.
Nice Filler holds three patents: the first for the filler, granted in July 2018 (n. WO 2013060738); the second for the application of the filler in September 2019 (n. WO2010 016034); and the third for the technology applied on paper and cardboard, obtained in February 2022 (n. WO2022029022A1).
Via Turati 40, 20121 Milan
Via Loggia dei Pisani, 25 80133 Naples
Department of Industrial Engineering
University of Salerno
Via Giovanni Paolo II, 132
84084 Fisciano (SA)