- Junior Sales Manager
- Technical Sales Representative, Leamington, Ontario
- HR Generalist
- Technical Sales Representative, Ancaster, Ontario
- Head Grower Strawberries (West Virginia USA)
- Global Sourcing Manager
- Buying Operations Manager (BOM Process)
- Sourcing Manager EU
- Ein- und Verkäufer Obst
- Manager Operations Ethiopia
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
- Last year, more than 6,000 hectares of citrus fruit were abandoned in the Valencian production areas
- South African fruit exports can’t do without Russia
- “It’s time to interrupt the North American mushroom industry”
- Fruits and vegetables rich in flavonols help prevent memory loss
- "The lower prices are however seeing demand for macadamias pick up locally"
Top 5 - last month
- Risk of heart disease might drop significantly by drinking these fruit juices
- “Right now, everybody in the US is desperate for grapes”
- South African strawberry aficionados in for a Woolworths treat
- Japanese farmer produces mangoes that sell for $230 each
- UK and Europe “screaming for citrus” but still more rain for South Africa
Peru needs transport routes to improve its port system
Peru could be a trading hub on the west coast of South America, according to the Chamber of Commerce of Lima. However, it lacks adequate infrastructure, among other deficiencies.
The chairman of the board of directors of the National Port Authority, Edgar Patiño, stated that the Peruvian port system was made up of 85 ports, which have been developed and implemented thanks to the port policy (defined in the Law of the National Port System) that is aligned with the policies of the transport sector, which has allowed the promotion of private investment in the national port system.
However, he said, despite the infrastructure and equipment, the competitiveness of port logistics still hasn't reached its optimum level. "This is due to some factors that affect it, such as a lagging public management regarding what foreign trade demands, cumbersome administrative processes, a non-articulated port logistics community, congestion in access, and insecurity in the transport of goods," he said, even though the Government is working to solve these issues by 2021 through the National Policy of Modernization of Public Management.
"We must create security systems that allow to take preventive and corrective actions against the theft of merchandise during the journey to their destination, as well as illicit drug trafficking", stated Patiño, who added that in the last 10 years almost 4 billion dollars had been invested in the port system.
Regarding port logistics, Patiño said they lacked an articulated port community, with connected processes and information in real time. "To this end, all actors involved in the port logistics community must interact in a common technological platform. A Single Window of Foreign Trade would be an appropriate instrument to do this, because if one of the links in the port logistics chain does not work, it affects the entire chain, causing higher costs and increased time in processes," he said.
Regarding the costs in the services and the transport routes, Ayzanoa assures that the cost overruns in the disembarkation of containers were due to the problems with the transport routes used by the trucks. "The port cost is similar in all the terminals, but the cost overruns that have to be added from the terminal to the final point of consumption due to poor transport routes is very high," he said.
Another cause of cost overruns would have to do with Customs inspections and security surcharges. "When a container stays several days in the port because of a problem with Customs, it is charged a surcharge. Security must also be more efficient," he added.
According to the Universidad del Pacifico, in the next decade investments of more than US $ 1.5 billion in new port infrastructure and services are required so that Peru can be a hub in the continent.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-06-08 'Being prepared is key for achieving a competitive advantage'
- 2023-06-08 Chinese major box ports handle over 95 million TEUs in first months of 2023
- 2023-06-07 Fixing South Africa’s rail network must be given national priority
- 2023-06-06 National Retail Federation reacts to disruptions at Ports of Oakland and Long Beach terminals
- 2023-06-06 Vietnamese PM calls for measures to prevent congestion at border crossings
- 2023-06-06 Kuehne+Nagel acquires leading South African freight forwarder Morgan Cargo
- 2023-06-06 Protesting laborers shut down Maersk Line, Five Star Logistics and other shipping companies
- 2023-06-06 Direct cargo flight launched between Kenya and Israel
- 2023-06-05 West Coast ports shut down as union laborers do not show up for work
- 2023-06-05 Maersk joins India and US general rate increase push
- 2023-06-05 Kazakh representative proposes to build a food warehouse on the border with China
- 2023-06-02 Veteran air-cargo manager's 35 years of sending fresh produce across Asia
- 2023-06-02 Drewry’s composite World Container Index decreased by 0.2% this week
- 2023-06-02 WFS opens air cargo terminal at Kempegowda International Airport
- 2023-06-01 Blackstone completes acquisition of majority stake of Copeland
- 2023-06-01 Air cargo demand decline slows in April
- 2023-05-31 Peel Ports Group builds new multi-dollar storage facility at Port of Liverpool
- 2023-05-31 "Great potential for LNG and hydrogen trucks"
- 2023-05-31 Where in the world is my container?
- 2023-05-30 Pacific International Lines decides to only accept prepaid freight in imports to Argentina