Hort Innovation is seeking established pear exporters to help develop an early and broader season pear export pilot program to boost pear exports.
The program aims to establish the existence of pear export opportunities, develop an export model that can be rolled out to other export-ready producers and boost pear exports.
Pear growers – particularly in the Goulburn Valley region which accounts for the vast majority of Australian pear production – are facing a tough market with an over supply of pears driving down prices and incomes. Boosting exports is a key industry priority identified in both the Apple & Pear Industry Export Development Strategy and the Apple & Pear Strategic Investment Plan 2017-2021 (SIP).
The industry-based Strategic Investment Advisory Panel (SIAP), which provides investment advice to Hort Innovation guided by the priorities identified within the SIP, has approved further support for developing pear exports.
The objectives of the Pear early and broader season export pilot program (PA17515) are to help Hort Innovation to:
- Demonstrate that commercial opportunities for Australian pear exports exist, and develop functional models of working with:
- In-country brand marketers (for relevant varieties)
- Seasonal windows of opportunity identified in the market development strategy
- Global supply arrangements with foreign retailers
- Demonstrate to the domestic pear industry an exemplar methodology that can be successfully deployed from end-to-end (farm to overseas consumer) for other export ready growers.
- Increase exports of Australian pear exports into key markets
- Within this methodology, evidence of the use of targeted consumer insights to define the target market
- Work with Hort Innovation to ensure that this template can be rolled out to other export ready growers
- Work in a collegiate manner with Hort Innovation, industry and other service providers as required.
The closing date for responses is 5.00 pm (AEDT), Friday, January 12, 2018.
For more information:
Tel: +61 439 574 173