Bartolomé and Pascual Nebot Lucas:

"The Clemenules is irreplaceable and its sales must be planned properly"

With less production than usual and higher prices, the citrus season is at a more advanced stage than at this time last year, given that temperatures have so far been ideal, with notable temperature contrasts between day and night, which ensures optimal ripening, both internally and externally.

Bartolomé Nebot, at one of his farms.

"The quality of the Clemenules has so far been better than last year, when we were greatly affected by torrential rains. This time, we have larger calibres and fewer discards," says Bartolomé Nebot, field head for quality at Nebot Lucas, to FreshPlaza, which visited its fields and packing centre.

Labourers picking clementines.

The Castellon-based company Nebot Lucas produces and markets around 12 million kilos of mandarins and oranges, with its specialty being the Clemenules, which is considered by many as the best free clementine variety on the market. The Clemenules is indigenous to this area bordering the town of Nules and the firm can deliver it both with and without leaf.

"We are very familiar with this variety because the natural mutation took place very close to where we are, so this area is the best one to cultivate it because of its soil characteristics and climate. Besides being the most appreciated clementine, the role of the Clemenules in the citrus market is crucial due to the fact that there is not yet any other protected or free variety that could cover its gap in the market in the period when it is available, which makes it irreplaceable," explains Bartolomé Nebot.

According to the expert, the Clemenules is the most planted variety in the province of Castellon because of its organoleptic qualities and its productivity; however, he states that the inadequate planning and marketing by some cooperatives leads to prices sinking or being under a lot of pressure when the production is in full swing.

Pascual Nebot Lucas, manager of the company.

"If you know in advance that there will be a great volume available of the variety, given its status, it is important to plan your harvest, so that the production is not concentrated at specific times. This lack of planning has caused small firms to go bankrupt and this could soon also happen to some larger cooperatives," he warns.

Based in the town of Alquerías del Niño perdido, in the province of Castellon, Nebot Lucas is a company with more than 60 years of experience in the production of citrus fruits. The Pascual brothers (manager), Bartolomé (Field Head) and Mayte Nebot Lucas (Human Resources) are the second generation of this family business founded by their father Pascual Nebot.

The Spanish market accounts for 40% of its production, while the other 60% is exported to Europe, with major markets such as France and Italy. "We focus on the wholesale markets with our brands Gustemiel and La Doceur. It is true that large distributors increasingly have more and more weight in this sector and are able to set the prices. We believe in brands, in the fact that those buying in the market will always ask for that brand they like and which they trust. There will always be room for the traditional market."

For more information:
Pascual Nebot
Nebot Lucas SL
T:+34 629640313

Publication date:

Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here

Other news in this sector:

Sign up for our daily Newsletter and stay up to date with all the latest news!

Subscribe I am already a subscriber