- Packing Supervisor
- International Account Manager
- Head Grower Greenhouse Canada
- Post Entry Quarantine Facility Manager
- Economic Policy Officer Agri-Tech Kentucky
- Licensing Manager North America
- Junior Sales Executive
- Fruit Breeder/Trait Discovery Scientist
- General Manager
- Regional Sales Manager – DACH Region
Top 5 -yesterday
- Dole plc announces sale of its Fresh Vegetables Division to Chiquita
- The Victorian stone fruit grower selling main orchard to focus on other 'exciting' opportunities
- SA grape farmers face more challenges amid rolling blackouts
- Polish importer makes tomato investments in Romania
- California avocado production forecast for 2023
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
- El Niño will probably add to misery of SA farmers
- Avocado consumption reduces total cholesterol and Ldl C
- Criminal ‘food sellers’ are posing problems in South Africa
- "I am destroying my celery because they humiliate us offering just a few cents"
- Pomegranate grower gets off expensive chemical carousel
Increasing demand from Russia for Kenyan avocados
Saipei Foods from Kenya currently send around 100 containers per year into Europe.
"Our season is from week 14 to week 36 and we grow both the Fuerte and Hass avocados," explains Wycliffe Musili from Saipei. "We send our Hass avocados to France, Holland and Spain and last year we were able to send our Fuerte avocados to Russia as there seems to be an increasing demand from there too."
He says that production in Kenya is increasing quickly and farmers who traditionally would grow coffee or tea are now growing avocados due to the high prices. The regional and local governments are contacting farmers to educate them on avocado growing and on forming cooperatives to deal directly with the buyers.
"We are an exporting company with our own farm and we are GlobalGap certified, if we don't have enough of our own production we get avocados from other growers to fill the orders."
According to Wycliffe there is no shortage of trees or seedlings, and there are a lot of people who are growing avocado trees.
"We will increase our Hass production as you have to give the market what they want, and in Europe it is only Hass," said Wycliffe.
Challenges facing the Kenya growers include getting the farmers to understand how to handle avocados and how to harvest properly, and also how to maintain the cool chain throughout the process to ensure good quality when it gets to market, it is also a challenge to prevent people from harvesting early, according to Wycliffe.
for more information:
Tel: +254 723 416457
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-09-30 Papua New Guinea to embark on developing avocados as an industry
- 2022-09-30 South African avo industry hamstrung by overreliance on single export market
- 2022-09-29 “Prices for Peruvian avocados in US were disappointing, less than half of Mexico and California's prices”
- 2022-09-28 "The annual production rate is increasing faster than the demand"
- 2022-09-27 Guatemala's Hass avocado takes another step to enter the US market
- 2022-09-26 Avocado industry leaders recognized
- 2022-09-22 Tanzanian avocados sell at Sh10,000 apiece in Belgium
- 2022-09-21 'Eating one avocado a day might lower cholesterol levels'
- 2022-09-21 "The first Dominican tropical avocados of the season will arrive in Europe in two weeks"
- 2022-09-19 Delivery volume of Peruvian avocados declined after Mid-Autumn Festival, and the price went up
- 2022-09-16 "Due to the ban on early harvesting of avocados the sizes and maturity improved substantially"
- 2022-09-15 Mexican avocados kicks off with fall marketing program
- 2022-09-14 Avocado exports from the southern hemisphere and Mexico will increase by 29% this season
- 2022-09-13 China: Increased sourcing destinations to boost avocado consumption
- 2022-09-12 Same-day fresh avocado delivery proves popular in Shanghai
- 2022-09-09 Despite global challenges Mexican avocado production is going strong
- 2022-09-08 “The market has improved and we are now seeing better demand"
- 2022-09-07 Avodemia: "We are looking for avocado importers in China"
- 2022-09-02 New Zealand avocado export season well underway
- 2022-09-01 FreshPlaza's September Special is on Avocados