- Packing Supervisor
- International Account Manager
- Head Grower Greenhouse Canada
- Post Entry Quarantine Facility Manager
- Economic Policy Officer Agri-Tech Kentucky
- Licensing Manager North America
- Junior Sales Executive
- Fruit Breeder/Trait Discovery Scientist
- General Manager
- Regional Sales Manager – DACH Region
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
- El Niño will probably add to misery of SA farmers
- Avocado consumption reduces total cholesterol and Ldl C
- Criminal ‘food sellers’ are posing problems in South Africa
- "I am destroying my celery because they humiliate us offering just a few cents"
- Pomegranate grower gets off expensive chemical carousel
"Our export to Europe dropped by 20%"
Typhoons and greening disease hit China citrus crop
2015 mandarin harvest at Xiamen Rayen
“The 2015 season has not been particularly good for us. Plantations in Southern China have been damaged by typhoons over summer. Greening disease has done a lot of damage, especially in Jiangxi Province,” says Cherrie Yang of Xiamen Rayen, Zhangzhou County at the East coast of China.
“We supply pomelo, oranges and mandarins to Chinese supermarkets. Wholesale prices are 20% lower than in last season. This might be caused by the financial uproar China is experiencing since the summer. Pomelo wholesale prices teeter around 4.50 Yuan per kilogram (€0.65). Navel oranges are sold at 7 Yuan (€1) and mandarins at 3.5 Yuan (€0.50). Pomelo exports have been hit by the weak Euro. And, despite the fact that prices in China have come down, total export to Europa has decreased almost 20% compared to last year.”
Mandarins packed and ready for sale
The Upper and Middle Yangtze River region produces oranges that are famous for their use in the processing and juice industry. This is also Asia's largest orange production base. Navel oranges are grown in Hunan Province and in the South of Jiangxi Province. Zhejiang, Fujian and Guangdong Province produce fresh and canned mandarins. Canned mandarins are for the greater part exported. Chinese consumers prefer fresh fruit and most fresh citrus is sold on the domestic market. In addition, China exports an estimated half a million ton of fresh citrus a year. These are mostly easy peelers destined for Southeast Asia, Russia and the Middle East.
The two most widespread mandarin varieties are the Satsuma with 60% of total production and the Penkan/Lugan, accounting for 30% of total production. Popular orange varieties are the Jin (33%), Navel (20%), Red River, Bingtang (20%) and Valencia. Citrus harvest season runs from September until the beginning of March.
China is becoming a big importer of citrus. Main export countries that supply the Chinese market are South Africa, Australia, Chile, Egypt and Israel. Xiamen Rayen Co., Ltd. exports pomelos to the EU, Navel oranges to Middle East and Russia.
For more information:
Xiamen Rayen Co., Ltd.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-02-03 Scientists believe weapon against citrus greening already exists in nature
- 2023-02-03 São Paulo State: Ponkan tangerine harvest expected to start for real in February
- 2023-02-03 The season is almost over for Comune clementines in Puglia
- 2023-02-03 "Our values are farsightedness and resilience"
- 2023-02-03 Sando Clementine campaign ends with more production and better prices
- 2023-02-03 Prices coming down on Florida mandarins and oranges
- 2023-02-02 Florida growers to vote on Marketing Order Amendments
- 2023-02-02 Assisted Evolution Technologies (AET) to improve citrus fruit quality
- 2023-02-02 Promising open market for Moroccan citrus
- 2023-02-02 Turkey: Value of citrus exports amounted to 904 million dollars last year
- 2023-02-02 Expanded availability of Sumo Citrus this season
- 2023-02-01 Norbugang orange growers struggling with Citrus Greening
- 2023-02-01 CGA calls for urgent political intervention to ensure South African oranges continue to be exported to EU in 2023
- 2023-01-31 "As soon as we solve one problem, others arise"
- 2023-01-31 Citrus shipper implements new ERP software
- 2023-01-31 Two arrested in Orihuela for assaulting citrus truck driver with knives and stealing €3,000 from him
- 2023-01-31 Egypt has overtaken Turkey to become the №1 supplier of oranges to Uzbekistan
- 2023-01-31 Organic citrus fruit - good prices yet affected by price hikes
- 2023-01-31 “Spanish nurseries are the ones taking the new mandarin varieties to Italy”
- 2023-01-30 "The North American market rewards good quality citrus"