- Packing Supervisor
- International Account Manager
- Head Grower Greenhouse Canada
- Post Entry Quarantine Facility Manager
- Economic Policy Officer Agri-Tech Kentucky
- Licensing Manager North America
- Junior Sales Executive
- Fruit Breeder/Trait Discovery Scientist
- General Manager
- Regional Sales Manager – DACH Region
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
- El Niño will probably add to misery of SA farmers
- Avocado consumption reduces total cholesterol and Ldl C
- Criminal ‘food sellers’ are posing problems in South Africa
- "I am destroying my celery because they humiliate us offering just a few cents"
- Pomegranate grower gets off expensive chemical carousel
4-6 October, 2016 in Addis Ababa
Fairtrade to launch 'agrofood plastpack Ethiopia'
“The idea to launch a professional platform especially for the Ethiopian business community was brought up by the exhibitors at our “agrofood & plastprintpack Nigeria 2015” in Lagos last April. Now we are excited to create this new major platform for our long-term customers,” says Martin März, fairtrade’s CEO. “After a fact-finding mission to Addis Ababa and fruitful meetings with partners from industry, trade and service we are convinced, that this new business platform arrives perfectly in time.”
With 150 million Euros in 2014 (VDMA) Ethiopia is East and Central Africa’s largest importer of food processing and packaging machinery. The annual growth rate of 38 percent between 2010 and 2014 testifies Ethiopia as a market of the future that is just about to unfold. For manufacturers of food and packaging Global players like Heineken, Nestlé, Unilever and others are entering the Ethiopian market and invest hundreds of million US $ in new food and beverage production facilities.
According to figures from the World Bank, the Ethiopian Agriculture accounts for about 48percent of gross domestic product (GDP) and 85 percent of exports, making it the cornerstone of the economy and the largest potential source of growth and prosperity. The Ethiopian agriculture has increased in the years 2011 to 2014 by 4.9 percent until 9.0 percent annually.
Ethiopia is East and Central Africa’s hub for the food trade. During the past years Ethiopian food imports have increased with an annual rate of 15 percent, from 0.866 billion US $ in 2009 to 1.797 billion US $ in 2014. Food exports even increased by 20 percent annually, to now more than 2.9 billion US$.
It is also the 2nd largest importer of plastics and packaging machinery with an annual growth rate of 23 percent and 27 percent, between 2010 and 2014. Ethiopia is the largest importer of plastics in primary forms with a phenomenal annual growth rate of 46 percent between 2010 and 2014, reaching 527 million Euros in 2014.
To learn more visit www.agrofood-plastpack.com.
For more information:
fairtrade GmbH & Co. KG
Tel: +49 / 62 21 / 45 65 22
Fax: +49 / 62 21 / 45 65 25
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-02-03 Spain introduces new indirect tax on non-reusable plastic packaging
- 2023-02-03 "We offer overseas producers a total package access to the European market”
- 2023-02-03 "Following France, other European countries will ban plastic packaging"
- 2023-02-03 Spanish Fedemco strengthens its alliance with Aidimme
- 2023-02-03 Plastic or cardboard but with an emphasis on practicality, protection and zero waste
- 2023-02-02 Proseal marks a 25-year milestone
- 2023-02-01 Cambodia requests Korea Trade-Investment Promotion Agency to invest in processing and packaging of agri products
- 2023-01-31 Paper packaging solution now also available as banderole
- 2023-01-31 Study reveals environmental benefits of modified atmosphere packaging
- 2023-01-31 Sustainable punnets to be showcased in Berlin
- 2023-01-31 Coveris makes waves in its vision of 'No Waste' at Packaging Innovations 2023
- 2023-01-31 "Adaptation to automatic packaging machines is one of the main trends"
- 2023-01-31 "Our folding container series 'Clever-Fresh-Box advance' is in great demand"
- 2023-01-31 A French manufacturer of biodegradable cellulose-based nets
- 2023-01-30 BASF and StePac partner to develop sustainable packaging for fresh produce shelf-life extension
- 2023-01-30 Price conscious consumers drive shift in sustainable packaging offerings
- 2023-01-27 Study reveals environmental benefits of modified atmosphere packaging
- 2023-01-27 Fibre-based packaging provider makes €11 mln. investment in retail packaging
- 2023-01-26 Cascades launches new eco-friendly packaging for fresh fruits and vegetables
- 2023-01-25 Clemson researcher creates biodegradable food packaging from common millet