- Production Manager
- Assistant Professor - Controlled Environments Entomologist
- Technical Development Specialist | Horticulture | France
- Director of Business Development | Middle East | Agtech
- Farm/Production Manager; Berlin (m/w/d)
- Trader Asian Market
- Avocado Growing Manager - Kenya
- Sales Manager for Nordic countries (H/F)
- Trader - Buyer Zachtfruit en Exoten
- Senior Breeder
Top 5 -yesterday
- “I don’t know how blueberry farmers are going to survive”
- Avocados Australia looks at export markets as growers brace for another oversupply situation
- Shelf-life extension technology reduces brown stems in grapes
- "The recent price of Chilean cherries is lower than the same period last year"
- Israel’s 2022-2023 citrus season estimated to be lower and challenging
Top 5 -last week
- Growing potatoes 'in thin air' could increase profits up to 20 percent
- More early South African grapes kept locally
- Early stonefruit, perhaps early grapes as well
- “You don’t only have to be knowledgeable about the crop, but you also have to know how to work with others"
- Dutoit opens new Cherry Time™ packhouse with a ‘cherrific’ crop
Top 5 -last month
Grapefruit prices China show downward trend
La Huirong says: "There are approximately 700 hectares of grapefruit; this means an annual output of a few thousand tons. At the moment the prices for white grapefruit are between 1.3 Yuan and 1.4 Yuan per 0.5 kilo. This price has been around the same for several years. But the harvest of this year is much larger than previous years. High outputs will definitely have an influence on the prices."
For the last few years, along with the recognition of costumers for the taste and the nutrition of grapefruit, the sales volume of grapefruit on the market increased. Jiangsu Lingjia Tang agricultural wholesale data show that from September 15 to October 15 the amount of grapefruit entering the market reached 8000 tons, with daily sales amounting up to 250 tons or more. At the time of increased consumption, the grapefruit prices appeared to fall slightly.
Jiangsu Lingjia Tang agricultural wholesale analyst Jiang Hong says: "The grapefruit price is in a constant decline since the amount on the market increased. The average wholesale price of normal white grapefruit is 4.2 Yuan per kilo, last year the price in the same period was 5 Yuan per kilo. This is a decline of 16%. Red grapefruit are regarded on the market as high quality China produced fruit. The price for this product always maintained approximately 9 Yuan per kilo, but this year prices are fluctuating. The wholesale price of 7.2 Yuan per kilo is easier for people to swallow."
This year, there was substantial rainfall in the most important grapefruit producing areas like Fujian. The climate was relatively good for growing grapefruit. The white grapefruit, as well as the red grapefruit, appear to be of high quality. With low prices, the output is likely to sell quickly. Anhui Baida Weekly market analyst Li Tao analysed: "This year's grapefruit prices are dropping, but this is not only to do with the large output. On a certain level the price decline is also caused by other fruit."
Tao says: "This year has been a great fruit year. For example apples; large amounts entered the market, prices showed a distinctive downward trend, causing other fruit prices to drop. Another cause is that the consuming power is not particularly strong this year. Last year, the apple fruit storage selling prices were not very high, therefore bulk fruits will enter the markets this year and store amounts show a downward trend."
Now various autumn fruits and grapefruits hit the market, the grapefruit price is in more distress. Li Tao points out: "In the short time grapefruit prices will show a slight downward tendency, but with the amount of output getting smaller, more room will be created for prices to rise."
At the same time Li Tao also points out: "Along with the weather getting colder, the amount of HongKong grapefruit entering the market will expand with a peak of 200 - 300 tons and prices will drop slightly. But the decline of the market is expected to be limited."
From the marketing point of view, the sale of Hong Kong grapefruit is picking up step by step, but the differences between varieties is comparatively large. For example the price difference between red grapefruit and white grapefruit is reflecting well on the market. Jiang Hong suggests growers introduce more varieties and pay attention to brand packaging to increase incomes.
Source: Tianjin Radio and Television - rural radio
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-11-29 Israel’s 2022-2023 citrus season estimated to be lower and challenging
- 2022-11-28 Ghanaian citrus growers perturbed by black spot disease
- 2022-11-28 Castellon's citrus exports are growing thanks to the fall in production in Italy
- 2022-11-28 France: green clementines for the holiday season
- 2022-11-28 DaVida, the new BIO+ and CO2 neutral brand of citrus fruit to give the organic market a push
- 2022-11-28 First supplies of Limoré to become available soon
- 2022-11-28 South African orange shipment reveals R75 million worth of cocaine
- 2022-11-28 Louisiana scientists work to grow citrus indoors
- 2022-11-25 "When compared to other protected varieties on the market, Valley Gold is very economical"
- 2022-11-25 Kinnow exporters Pakistan seek help from government
- 2022-11-25 First Tan Lac red-flesh grapefruits exported to UK
- 2022-11-24 Bangladesh increases duty on Vidarbha oranges
- 2022-11-24 Annual United Way citrus sale from November 28 until December 2
- 2022-11-23 Four pomelo planting areas in Ba Ria-Vung Tau licensed to export to US
- 2022-11-23 Satsuma overload: citrus growers need to diversify
- 2022-11-23 Central Valley temperatures still important for citrus growers
- 2022-11-23 Low demand for lemons and grapefruit in Europe despite smaller supply
- 2022-11-23 "The export price of Nanfeng tangerines dropped slightly compared to last year"
- 2022-11-22 Orange prices may surge in Pakistan due to low yields
- 2022-11-22 US orange juice imports from Brazil surging