- Packing Supervisor
- International Account Manager
- Head Grower Greenhouse Canada
- Post Entry Quarantine Facility Manager
- Economic Policy Officer Agri-Tech Kentucky
- Licensing Manager North America
- Junior Sales Executive
- Fruit Breeder/Trait Discovery Scientist
- General Manager
- Regional Sales Manager – DACH Region
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
- El Niño will probably add to misery of SA farmers
- Avocado consumption reduces total cholesterol and Ldl C
- Criminal ‘food sellers’ are posing problems in South Africa
- "I am destroying my celery because they humiliate us offering just a few cents"
- Pomegranate grower gets off expensive chemical carousel
Great market opportunities for Israeli Herbs
Herb prices are very stable compared to other fruit and vegetables. There are winter and summer prices, however, unusually hot weather in Italy has made for an unusual situation. Three years ago their production would have been focused on imports this time of year, but the weather has meant that Italy is still producing for the European market.
This situation has had an affect on Israeli herb exports. "However, the winter season is nearing and temperatures are dropping in Germany and Italy which are strong and competitive markets. Once the weather changes, imports from Israel and Africa will start to increase. Germany is a big market for chives and basil, so once Italian production slows, they can enter the market. On the other side, unique export products such as sea vegetables (Salicornia), and sea weeds amongst others, are in very high demand," shares Yehonatan Kedem. "One of the Kedem Galprie main products are the sea vegetables and we see a large increase of sales and interest".
A lot of growers located in Kenya and Ethiopia are actually Israeli, which means that they are using the same high technology which makes them competitive to Israel. They have been able to establish themselves with certain items, but they are still experiencing problems with basil, a very sensitive herb, which Israel is better equipped to deal with. "African prices are very attractive to customers which means that it tends to be preferred. High quality is important to Israeli production and is what gives it the competitive edge against the lower African prices".
"More people are coming in contact with items that they hadn't before. Companies in Holland have done a great job of introducing new items and new herb varieties into the market. Microgreens, sea vegetables, and edible flowers are really growing in popularity. In general, people are looking for new products that they can offer to supermarkets and customers.
Salicornia, which is very common in the UK, is starting to be offered in Scandinavia and Germany. Business is becoming more inter-market and orders are increasing."
For more information:
Tel: +972 8940 1680 ext. 3
Fax: +972 8940 1521
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-02-03 First producers' organization for fresh herbs founded in Italy
- 2023-01-30 "Last year, we expanded our Dutch greenhouse acreage by 5 hectares"
- 2023-01-30 Constant level of demand despite price increase of 10 to 20 percent for thyme
- 2023-01-24 "No other herb brand in Australia has such an extensive range of punnets and sleeves which are fully barcoded"
- 2023-01-19 Mint is seeing an interesting pickup in demand
- 2023-01-17 Organic aromatic herbs that respect health and the environment
- 2022-12-23 "In the last three days we have seen orders going up by 300%"
- 2022-12-22 Italian fresh herbs did well in 2022
- 2022-12-20 "The festive season is when top chefs experiment with cress to distinguish themselves"
- 2022-12-16 Italian organic aromatic and medicinal plants sold to various European industries and buyers
- 2022-12-13 "For the more unusual varieties, there is currently an additional price of up to 1 euro per kilo"
- 2022-12-13 Herb grower bringing 90 percent of production indoors
- 2022-12-12 Kenyan nursery seeks to create future for community via herbs
- 2022-11-30 "We are now in a position to supply German goods for the early Easter business"
- 2022-11-28 France: dynamic demand for dried herb bouquets
- 2022-11-24 100% Vegan friendly DIY Pesto Kit introduced in The Netherlands
- 2022-11-17 “We are known for our high-quality fresh herbs that are asked for by our clients.”
- 2022-11-10 Swiss: From supplying retail to the year-round cultivation of natural plant extracts
- 2022-11-09 Spike in fresh herb consumption for the holiday season
- 2022-10-28 Spontaneous herbs become a resource