- Production Manager
- Assistant Professor - Controlled Environments Entomologist
- Technical Development Specialist | Horticulture | France
- Director of Business Development | Middle East | Agtech
- Farm/Production Manager; Berlin (m/w/d)
- Trader Asian Market
- Avocado Growing Manager - Kenya
- Sales Manager for Nordic countries (H/F)
- Trader - Buyer Zachtfruit en Exoten
- Senior Breeder
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
- Rainy run-up to the South African litchi harvest aids sizing
- Medicinal mushrooms the next big trend?
- "A month later, we've had to replant up to 27% of the strawberry plants"
- Freak hailstorm in Chile touches cherry, table grape and blueberry farms
- Western Australia’s pome industry said goodbye to two legends this month
Top 5 -last month
Impulses for production
Tunisia with new pomegranate export strategy
The production in Tunisia is estimated to have had a volume of 67,000 tons in 2013, on an area of 23,000 hectares. 63 percent of production comes from the coastal region Gabes (the southeast of the country), where pomegranate trees grow in the shade of date palm trees.
Pomegranate production in areas of Tunisia
When one considers the cultivation, pomegranates in Tunisia take the southern part of the country, especially oases that are normally filled with date palm trees. New production areas are opening up in the north. With this the Tunisian pomegranate production is to experience a new impulse in the coming years.
These new areas have better growing conditions, because there is more rain, accessing irrigation systems is easier, and a lower salt content supports a high production quality. All this beside the possibility that the trees can survive drought, salt and the hot climate.
Among the new cultivation areas is Testour in the northwest of the country, with 1,050 hectares and 12,000 production, and Cape Bon, where 4,700 tons are produced on an area of 1,050 hectares.
Pomegranates are mostly eaten fresh, because the seed covering is very sweet. The fruit is well known for grenadine and tasty marmalade. When cooked and simmered in water, the peels are used for skin products – the fruit offers nutritional and therapeutic qualities to boot.
The most exported types are Gabsi (left) and Tounsi (right)
The Tunisian government is developing an export strategy to divide demand and ensure a high quality, to cover the needs and demands of the different international markets.
For this reason, many plantations are provided with the certificate “organically grown pomegranates” from the European organization. Other plantations in the south are part of the “Gabes pomegranate” program, which ensures a certain color, ripening on the tree without color activation, and juicy, fresh fruit flesh that tastes very good.
Elite Trading Consult UG is responsible for the distribution of the Agri didon pomegranate in Germany.
Representative for Germany
Elite Trading Consult UG
Probsteigasse 50 - 50670 Köln Germany
Agri Didon Tunisia
76, Avenue Habib Bourguiba Appt A-1-1
2080 Ariana (Tunisia)
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-11-25 Wet weather and late start not putting a dampener on Honey Gold season
- 2022-11-25 Organic ginger from a Dutch greenhouse
- 2022-11-25 Productive Maluma avocado grown in Israel, on its way to EU, Cyprus and Turkey
- 2022-11-25 October export volume of ginger was still declining, no significant increase in average export price
- 2022-11-25 Senegalese mango exports decrease
- 2022-11-25 Zespri releases November 2022/23 forecast
- 2022-11-25 Uzbekistan exported more than 45,000 tons of persimmon in 10 months
- 2022-11-25 Alanya district farmers have started to grow mangoes
- 2022-11-25 New Mohan railway checkpoint in Yunnan will be opened in early December
- 2022-11-25 2022 was a successful year for Vietnam’s agri exports
- 2022-11-24 Retailer spotlights seasonal Mexican drink
- 2022-11-24 Improving mango shelf-life with Neem oil
- 2022-11-24 Italy takes advantage of the lack of Spanish persimmon production
- 2022-11-24 “Jammu farmers should increase diversification of crops”
- 2022-11-23 Lull in U.S. lychee market makes way for South African fruit
- 2022-11-23 Malaga company awarded Innovative Initiative award
- 2022-11-23 "Due to lower production, our sales have remained stable during the entire pomegranate season"
- 2022-11-23 Mexican town sets Guinness World Record for largest batch of guacamole ever
- 2022-11-23 “We took up the challenge of restarting production of organic avocados in Corsica”
- 2022-11-23 "Dragons Claw mushrooms give chefs a new challenge"