- Production Manager
- Assistant Professor - Controlled Environments Entomologist
- Technical Development Specialist | Horticulture | France
- Director of Business Development | Middle East | Agtech
- Farm/Production Manager; Berlin (m/w/d)
- Trader Asian Market
- Avocado Growing Manager - Kenya
- Sales Manager for Nordic countries (H/F)
- Senior Breeder
- Operations Manager - Kenya
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
- Growing potatoes 'in thin air' could increase profits up to 20 percent
- More early South African grapes kept locally
- Early stonefruit, perhaps early grapes as well
- “You don’t only have to be knowledgeable about the crop, but you also have to know how to work with others"
- Dutoit opens new Cherry Time™ packhouse with a ‘cherrific’ crop
Top 5 -last month
Joris Tenhagen, of Seacon Logistics
"It’s very important to invest in connecting the network"
He explains that Seacon Logistics has the IT, knowledge and a strong presence in a network of deep sea ports. Intermodal logistics represents 80% of its activities. “For us, it’s very important to invest in connecting the network, in innovation and collaboration with universities. You should also share this intelligence with the supply chain.”
In terms of market developments, Joris affirms that the West is still very strong, although most of the growth will be in the East. He also points to the importance of focusing on the hinterland. “If you can find a location where you can combine imports with a good local production, it becomes easier to re-use containers, as long as you have good connections.”
In Venlo’s case, where Seacon is based, its position as cluster is also relevant due to its proximity to retailers, whose demand for high quality produce is constantly growing. “You basically need good and frequent connections by rail and road,” says Joris.
“You often hear that intermodal is unreliable, that it takes a lot of time, but our services are very competitive. We made, for instance, comparisons between intermodal and truck, and by using depots and tracking technology the operation can be just as efficient. It also allows for less congestion and high reliability,” concludes Joris Tenhagen.
For his part, Jan Koolen, of UNIT 45, a company devoted to the production of diesel-electric reefer tanks and of the introduction of an 800 litre unit, explains that there is currently a great move towards the inland in China due to high costs by the sea, which are up to 7 times higher.
“A lot of people want to improve their productivity by moving to the inland, so they realised they had to invest in rail applications,” affirms Jan.
He states that “to make this possible, it is essential to have a desk tracking system, which means that you are able to communicate from your desk to the unit. You can see exactly how many litres of diesel are left, do geofencing, change the setpoint remotely, and much more. Having that kind of application is absolutely vital.”
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-12-02 Schedule reliability continues on its upwards trend
- 2022-12-02 EU agrees provisional ETS deal for shipping industry
- 2022-12-01 Vessel delays/early arrivals, blank sailing and extra-loaders increase volatility in number of sailings per week
- 2022-12-01 Weak trade forces down container freight rates on South America’s east coast
- 2022-11-30 Many Kerala exporters choose to avoid ‘expensive’ Kochi port
- 2022-11-30 Puerto Ventanas implements a Chilean fruit export service together with Cool Carriers
- 2022-11-30 Increased container volume at Port of Melbourne in October
- 2022-11-29 Twiga Foods launches distribution centre in Tatu City
- 2022-11-29 Agriculture fears losses due to Chilean truckers’ strike
- 2022-11-29 Imports of Thai fruits at Qingdao port increased by more than 40%
- 2022-11-29 Cimcorp achieves record order fulfillment lead time for two Mercadona logistics centers
- 2022-11-29 Focus on reimagining Africa's perishables logistics
- 2022-11-29 First MSC Air Cargo aircraft delivered
- 2022-11-28 Box rates could deteriorate to pre-Covid levels in December
- 2022-11-28 Freight rates on Indian trades hit new lows amid weakening demand
- 2022-11-25 CMA CGM applies revised PSS from Turkey to US East Coast & Gulf
- 2022-11-24 Air Tanzania Company Limited ships 3,000 tons of cargo annually
- 2022-11-24 Cape Town terminal volumes up as deciduous fruit export season starts
- 2022-11-24 Port volumes continue to grow strongly on North America's East Coast
- 2022-11-23 Perishable supply chain smoothing out somewhat