- Production Manager
- Assistant Professor - Controlled Environments Entomologist
- Technical Development Specialist | Horticulture | France
- Director of Business Development | Middle East | Agtech
- Farm/Production Manager; Berlin (m/w/d)
- Trader Asian Market
- Avocado Growing Manager - Kenya
- Sales Manager for Nordic countries (H/F)
- Senior Breeder
- Operations Manager - Kenya
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
- Growing potatoes 'in thin air' could increase profits up to 20 percent
- More early South African grapes kept locally
- Early stonefruit, perhaps early grapes as well
- “You don’t only have to be knowledgeable about the crop, but you also have to know how to work with others"
- Dutoit opens new Cherry Time™ packhouse with a ‘cherrific’ crop
Top 5 -last month
Updated provisional estimate of 2012 GB potato supply
Due to the increase in yield provisional 2012 GB production is now estimated to be 4.64 million tonnes2, down 24% from 2011 and the lowest GB production since 1976.
This reduction is due to both lower planted area and lower yields. Planted area is still estimated at 121,800 ha3, down 5% from 2011. Average yields4 for GB are now estimated down 20%, to 38.1 tonnes/ha, compared with 47.4 t/ha in 2011.
The end of season lifting estimate now indicates a smaller unlifted area than previously reported. It is estimated to be less than 5% of total planted area. It is not viable to report further updates due to the late stage of harvest completion and uncertainties surrounding the exceptional season.
From April, planting progress and crop development were affected by unusually cold, dull and wet conditions across GB. All regions were affected by the difficult conditions but the magnitude of the impact varied crucially on when crops were planted, soil type and topography.
Table 1: Total Potato Production in Great Britain 2002-2012
Figure 1: Potato areas and production in Great Britain 2002-2012
For more information:
Tel: +44 2476 478 786
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-12-02 Governor Lacson wants more storage facilities for onions
- 2022-12-02 'Season of early Cypriot potatoes will begin soon'
- 2022-12-02 "Early switch from Spanish, Egyptian sweet potatoes to U.S. expected"
- 2022-12-02 Norwegian company deal with Argentine farmer to de-carbonise potato crisps
- 2022-12-02 World Potato Market reports that exports from EU reached record levels in September
- 2022-12-02 Onion prices down at Yeshwanthpur APMC, Bengaluru
- 2022-12-02 Smuggled white onions are said to be flooding Luzon markets
- 2022-12-02 US potato sales up almost 18% over last year
- 2022-12-01 "You have to pay attention"
- 2022-12-01 Shortage of onions in the Philippines
- 2022-12-01 “We are running along reasonably, but I expect yields to be reduced due to the cooler, wet weather"
- 2022-12-01 'Demand for Washington onions is good this week'
- 2022-12-01 Pakistan has become the main supplier of potatoes to the Uzbek market
- 2022-12-01 Over 50 countries represented at Interpom 2022
- 2022-11-30 Nigeria: Growers harvest first batch of biotech-potatoes
- 2022-11-30 Retail price of red onions in Metro Manila surge to P300 a kilo
- 2022-11-30 "Potatoes are becoming popular again"
- 2022-11-29 PepsiCo Alimentos Venezuela launches program to train potato growers in the region
- 2022-11-29 Potato production in Kazakhstan increased by almost 12% in 2022
- 2022-11-29 “The current economic context keeps the onion market balanced in spite of the drop in production”