- Production Manager
- Assistant Professor - Controlled Environments Entomologist
- Technical Development Specialist | Horticulture | France
- Director of Business Development | Middle East | Agtech
- Farm/Production Manager; Berlin (m/w/d)
- Trader Asian Market
- Avocado Growing Manager - Kenya
- Sales Manager for Nordic countries (H/F)
- Trader - Buyer Zachtfruit en Exoten
- Senior Breeder
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
- Growing potatoes 'in thin air' could increase profits up to 20 percent
- More early South African grapes kept locally
- Early stonefruit, perhaps early grapes as well
- “You don’t only have to be knowledgeable about the crop, but you also have to know how to work with others"
- Dutoit opens new Cherry Time™ packhouse with a ‘cherrific’ crop
Top 5 -last month
South African stone fruit season gets off to positive start
Jako van Lill from Fruits Unlimited, a major supplier to the South African Woolworths supermarket, has been supplying them with nectarines for 6 weeks already and says the local market is good. Jako, who also exports to Europe, Asia and the Middle East says the first apricot exports have been sent via air freight and the markets are abroad are also looking good, with not too much volume of stone fruit from the US left over.
Plums will also be later this season, he is looking at weeks 47-48 for the first harvest, but this can still change because the weather has been improving. According to him the fruit-set on the plums is the best he has seen in recent years, only the variety Pioneer may be a bit down in some areas.
Jako van Lill with Floyd Zaiger in California
Fruits Unlimited's new late plum variety Flavor Fall is expected to double in yield this season, reaching 80,000 boxes. The Flavor Fall plum was well received in Europe and Asia last year, with customers asking for bigger volumes this year. A team from South Africa visited California earlier in the year to see how the plum is grown there, according to Jako they learned a lot about growing and managing the crop.
Flavor Fall Growers Day in South Africa
2 weeks ago Fruits Unlimited also held a grower's day for the South African Flavor Fall growers where they shared what they had learned in the US. Jako puts this kind of event and good technical back up for the growers has contributed to the success of the variety.
For more information:
Jako van Lill
Tel: +27 21 860 1800
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-12-01 Grape consumption helps counter UV damage to skin
- 2022-12-01 Moroccan table grape grower transitions to new varieties
- 2022-12-01 New technology enables real-time monitoring to determine the quality of the coveted Chilean fruit
- 2022-12-01 "There are efforts from all the actors and a common view of the country to improve logistics this season"
- 2022-12-01 Twenty years of research leads to three new apricot varieties
- 2022-12-01 Woolworths responds to customer’s outrage over watermelon pricing
- 2022-12-01 Wet weather affects Victorian cherry and berry season
- 2022-12-01 Egypt to allow the supply of grapes and cherries from Uzbekistan
- 2022-11-30 This year's first of Qingpu District strawberries are hitting the market
- 2022-11-30 New cherry varieties shows promise to make Chilean season even earlier
- 2022-11-30 Apples worth Rs 500 million exported from Mustang district
- 2022-11-30 'Indian banana exports can increase four-fold'
- 2022-11-30 Changing climate: Not all bad news for Maine blueberry growers
- 2022-11-30 Argentinian blueberry exports decrease as the world's blueberry consumption increases
- 2022-11-30 "Effect of lower Dutch strawberry supply is being felt; Egyptian ones in greater demand as that season starts"
- 2022-11-30 French pears remain very popular despite the drop in purchasing power
- 2022-11-30 "Brightly colored fruits are more acceptable in the market"
- 2022-11-30 Total global blueberry shipments from Argentina at 4.228 tons until now
- 2022-11-30 Australia: Alpine apple crop is looking good
- 2022-11-30 Five containers of Moldovan apples ready to ship to India – Moldova Fruct