The goal of the trials under the retractable roof are to document and optimize the ability of the retractable roof to protect the crop from environmental risks, manipulate the timing of the harvests and increase fruit size, quality and yield.
The retractable roof is automatically controlled by a computer to manipulate and enhance the growing conditions throughout the year.
The retractable roof will be used:
- In the early spring to change temperatures to manipulate the flowering time and to help protect the flowers from frost or freeze.
- During flowering to create the best possible temperatures and humidity levels for pollination.
- To protect the trees from hail
- During spring and summer to eliminate rain-disseminated diseases.
- During sunny and hot conditions by automatically closing 85% to help reduce losses due to sunburn and prevent a reduction in fruit size due to excessive transpiration.
- To protect fruit from rain prior to harvest
- During harvest to keep the fruit cooler to maximize water content helping to extend the shelf life
- After harvest to create optimum growing conditions to help trees prepare for the following growing season.
The results of this research will help create optimum crop and roof management protocols and will facilitate the creation of financial models which will allow growers to determine the impact on profit per kg and return on investment.
Cravo is the world leader in retractable roof greenhouses and the retractable roof production system.
For more information:
Cravo Equipment Ltd
Tel: (CDA/US only): 888 738 7228
Tel: +(1) 519 759 8226 x260
Mob: +(1) 905 317 3546
Fax: +(1) 519 752 0082