- Production Manager
- Assistant Professor - Controlled Environments Entomologist
- Technical Development Specialist | Horticulture | France
- Director of Business Development | Middle East | Agtech
- Farm/Production Manager; Berlin (m/w/d)
- Trader Asian Market
- Avocado Growing Manager - Kenya
- Sales Manager for Nordic countries (H/F)
- Trader - Buyer Zachtfruit en Exoten
- Senior Breeder
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
- Medicinal mushrooms the next big trend?
- Rainy run-up to the South African litchi harvest aids sizing
- "A month later, we've had to replant up to 27% of the strawberry plants"
- Freak hailstorm in Chile touches cherry, table grape and blueberry farms
- Western Australia’s pome industry said goodbye to two legends this month
Top 5 -last month
AU: Banana levy for emergencies moves a step closer
The industry signed up to the Emergency Pest Plant Response deed in 2004 and has only now introduced a levy to meets its obligations under the cost sharing arrangements.
With growers on heightened alert against the threat of Panama tropical race 4, since quarantine measures in the Northern Territory were relaxed this year, Australian Banana Growers Council president Doug Phillips has defended the time it's taken.
"What we are doing now with the introduction of this levy is really just providing that mechanism," he said.
"We've been a signatory to it for a number of years and this is really just dotting the i's and crossing the t's and the important thing to realise at this stage is that the levy will be set at zero initially.
"It will only basically be enacted if there is an incursion of an exotic disease, it doesn't have to be tropical race four, it could be some other exotic disease."
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-11-25 Politician files Bill intent on revitalizing and strengthening banana industry
- 2022-11-24 Banana consumption in Uzbekistan is increasing fast
- 2022-11-24 Growers are focusing on boosting banana production
- 2022-11-23 Russia-Latin America shipping negotiations focus on banana supplies
- 2022-11-22 Researchers discover a repellent compound against the banana black weevil
- 2022-11-22 Bananas from Belize sold for £0.88 in UK
- 2022-11-22 China's October banana imports are down 13.91% month-on-month
- 2022-11-21 Banana of Guadeloupe & Martinique: new collective packing stations
- 2022-11-21 Uzbekistan extends zero rates on banana and citrus imports
- 2022-11-18 "Recovering the market share lost to imported bananas will only be possible with lower prices"
- 2022-11-18 "Far fewer bananas to arrive in Europe"
- 2022-11-16 Tanzanian banana farmers receive higher market prices
- 2022-11-16 St Lucia begins shipping bananas to Trinidad after UK suspends trade
- 2022-11-15 St Lucia growers react to suspension of banana exports to the UK
- 2022-11-15 Kenya: Banana growers left in limbo after processing plant delays
- 2022-11-15 EU weighted average price of bananas produced within Europe at €143 per 100 kgs in week 43
- 2022-11-15 UK average banana prices week 45
- 2022-11-10 Germany seizes cocaine valued at $44.3M in Ecuadorian banana shipment
- 2022-11-08 Cameroon's banana exports increased by 2.25% in October 2022
- 2022-11-08 Strong partnerships, deep customer understanding, and challenging the status quo builds great solutions