- Sales Representative Southeastern US
- Bedding and Perennials Sales Manager Europe
- Ein- und Verkäufer Obst
- Horticultural Technician
- Head Grower Strawberries, Norway
- Tissue Culture Laboratory Scientist
- Manager Operations & Logistics
- Vegetable Advisor (Permanent)
- Horticultural Commercial Director
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
- “We hoped to harvest more than 400 tons of early potatoes, but I'll be surprised if we get to harvest 150 tons”
- "We produce 70 tons of mushrooms per day"
- Eastern buyers prefer the taste of South African Grannies
- Berg River grape farm forgoes a packhouse for field packing
- Israeli farmer grows world's heaviest lemon
Top 5 - last month
- "I spent 10 years as a worker, now I manage 120 hectares of citrus fruit, stone fruit and strawberries"
- Tropical cyclone Freddy brings heavy rains in parts of South Africa
- "Consumers will happily pay two euros for a Mars bar or can of Coke but not for their veg”
- PM Hipkins learns that most Hawke’s Bay crops were uninsured
- Supermarkets limiting sales of veg per customer
They asked the government to control Yilport
Ecuador: Banana workers march in protest
Banana workers, stevedores, and their families have protested against the Turkish multinational Yilport in the Madero Vargas Avenue. The protest was against the increase in the port fees. They will go from $ 0.17 - $ 0.15 paid by the exporter and $ 0.02 by the Government - to $0.24 in 2018 and $0.28 in 2019.
The company has the concession of Puerto Bolivar. The protesters expressed their opposition to 27 fees. Some items have had a one hundred percent increase in fees and other fees were created by the new administration.
One of the protesters' complaints is that the Turkish company is the most expensive port services provider in the country.
The president of the Association of Banana Exporters of Ecuador (AEBE), Eduardo Ledesma, said that if the excessive charges continue, the banana farmers of el Oro had two options: disappear or ship their products from Guayaquil, where they would be charged $0.13 for the same work that is done in Puerto Bolivar. In either case the results for El Oro will be negative. The sector is one of the main generators of work.
"We are not against private investment, but it can't become a monopoly," said Raul Lara, the president of the Banana Chamber of El Oro.
Yilport has had the port concession on a 50 year lease, since August 2016.
Prior to the march, the Minister of Transport and Public Works, Paul Granda, said the government would set up a commission to review the concession. Puerto Bolivar exports 30% of the country's banana production.
El Oro concentrates 50% of the small banana producers in Ecuador.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-03-24 Jamaica: Banana and plantain farmers able to benefit from Catastrophe Fund
- 2023-03-24 Ecuadorian banana exporter sees 68% volume increase in first two months of 2023
- 2023-03-23 400,000 banana trees damaged by storm in the north of Santa Catarina
- 2023-03-23 Lambunao municipality sets out to revive banana industry
- 2023-03-22 Ecuador banana industry not affected by earthquake, heavy rain slows production
- 2023-03-21 Colombian police seize over 1.6 tons of cocaine in banana shipment
- 2023-03-21 Dole supplies bananas to the Wuxi Marathon
- 2023-03-21 Bananas from Colombia at £0.95
- 2023-03-20 Ecuador exports up in January 2023
- 2023-03-17 South African market feels effects of flooded banana fields in Mozambique
- 2023-03-17 Tradition of planting silver bananas continues in Monte Alegre
- 2023-03-15 Cambodian fresh banana exports to China improve in Q1
- 2023-03-15 Colombia banana exports down 2.7% in 2022 due to rains and war in Ukraine
- 2023-03-15 Filipino banana sector badly in need of government support
- 2023-03-15 Ugandan presidium set up to protect the Ndiizi banana
- 2023-03-14 Bananas from Costa Rica at £1.05: 4% drop from last week
- 2023-03-13 Banana of Guadeloupe and Martinique at the Paris Agricultural Show 2023
- 2023-03-10 Tunisian Minister of Commerce delays fixing sales prices of apples and bananas
- 2023-03-09 Government tackles leaf spot disease of banana and plantain on Dominica
- 2023-03-08 Cameroon banana exports down, mainly due to poor performance by market leader