- Production Manager
- Assistant Professor - Controlled Environments Entomologist
- Technical Development Specialist | Horticulture | France
- Director of Business Development | Middle East | Agtech
- Farm/Production Manager; Berlin (m/w/d)
- Trader Asian Market
- Avocado Growing Manager - Kenya
- Sales Manager for Nordic countries (H/F)
- Trader - Buyer Zachtfruit en Exoten
- Senior Breeder
Top 5 -yesterday
- “I don’t know how blueberry farmers are going to survive”
- Shelf-life extension technology reduces brown stems in grapes
- Avocados Australia looks at export markets as growers brace for another oversupply situation
- "The recent price of Chilean cherries is lower than the same period last year"
- Israel’s 2022-2023 citrus season estimated to be lower and challenging
Top 5 -last week
- Growing potatoes 'in thin air' could increase profits up to 20 percent
- More early South African grapes kept locally
- Early stonefruit, perhaps early grapes as well
- “You don’t only have to be knowledgeable about the crop, but you also have to know how to work with others"
- Central Otago cherry growers expect record volumes of fruit this season
Top 5 -last month
NZ: 5+ A Day shares Christmas cheer with fresh fruit and veg
“Including colourful fruit and vegetables at Christmas time is a must for keeping the whole family healthy and happy,” General Manager Paula Dudley says.
“Nothing says Christmas more than beautiful seasonal fresh produce like strawberries, cherries, asparagus, tomatoes et cetera. By providing Kiwis with fresh ideas they are encouraged to try something new.”
As New Zealand heads into the summer months, Ms Dudley says there is lots of great local produce available to make Christmas time colourful and healthy.
“Cherries and berries look great this year and apricots look like they will be plentiful too.”
She says the 5+ A Day social media community respond really well to their suggestions and ideas for incorporating fresh fruit and vegetables into Christmas celebrations.
“The photos work well as ‘How to’ rather than complicated recipes,” she says, adding that it can be easy to add them to other Christmas snacks or meals.
“Instead of snacking on high fat high salt and sugar processed food, make a vegetable platter for nibbles with a humus and yogurt dip,” she says.
“Provide fresh fruit platter for dessert sprinkled with silver sprinkles to make it look festive.”
Among 5+ A Day’s most popular Christmas-themed posts are a cherry wreath, strawberry sponge layer cake, cherry tomato, mozzarella and basil caprese salad and a wreath salad featuring baby spinach, red capsicum, avocado and pomegranate.
“It is all in the presentation, make your platters look amazing and people will love them,” Ms Dudley says.
Some of the other fruit and vegetables in season for Kiwis at Christmas time include apples, bananas, artichokes, beetroots, cucumber, melons, sweet corn and potatoes.
For more information
The 5+ A Day Charitable Trust
Tel: +61 9 480 5057
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2021-12-24 "We offer a choice between Moroccan Hass and Fuerte avocados"
- 2021-12-23 "98% of the Canary tropical pineapple production comes from the island of El Hierro"
- 2021-12-22 Gift-wrapped kiwi fruits are selling like hot cakes
- 2021-12-21 “Market demand for Chinese ginger remains strong”
- 2021-12-20 “The demand for small organic exotic fruits is good”
- 2021-12-17 “Market demand for Indonesian pineapples remains strong in the USA and China”
- 2021-12-16 "The customer asks for the same product all year round, so that is what we started to grow"
- 2021-12-15 China: Fresh Hema ready-to-eat avocado sales double every year
- 2021-12-14 CO2 supply problems trigger shortage of Spanish persimmons
- 2021-12-13 Mexican avocado growers-shippers welcome Jalisco decision
- 2021-12-10 Implementing technological changes in shifting kiwifruit industry
- 2021-12-09 "Colombia's geostrategic location will allow it to export fresh mangoes to both coasts of the United States"
- 2021-12-08 Kenya is top African avocado exporter
- 2021-12-07 "Dutch chefs more upbeat than during previous lockdowns"
- 2021-12-06 The Kiwi Passion consortium presents the Spanish-produced Red Passion red-heart kiwifruit in Spain
- 2021-12-03 "Good demand for exotics and forgotten vegetables; wild mushroom sales lagging this season"
- 2021-12-02 Final Quality Summit of 2021 focuses on kiwifruit
- 2021-12-01 FreshPlaza's November Global Focus is on tropical and exotic fruit and vegetables
- 2020-12-24 "Christmas doesn't affect avocado sales; they're good all year long"
- 2020-12-23 Mango consumption pushes up in 2020