- Production Manager
- Assistant Professor - Controlled Environments Entomologist
- Technical Development Specialist | Horticulture | France
- Director of Business Development | Middle East | Agtech
- Farm/Production Manager; Berlin (m/w/d)
- Trader Asian Market
- Avocado Growing Manager - Kenya
- Sales Manager for Nordic countries (H/F)
- Trader - Buyer Zachtfruit en Exoten
- Senior Breeder
Top 5 -yesterday
- Citrus, avocado and grape importer announces new warehouse expansion
- More flooding expected in Orange River region
- New cherry varieties shows promise to make Chilean season even earlier
- "We want to minimize the impact of chilling damage on avocado quality"
- Demand for pomegranates triples at Christmas
Top 5 -last week
- Growing potatoes 'in thin air' could increase profits up to 20 percent
- More early South African grapes kept locally
- Early stonefruit, perhaps early grapes as well
- “You don’t only have to be knowledgeable about the crop, but you also have to know how to work with others"
- Central Otago cherry growers expect record volumes of fruit this season
Top 5 -last month
Israeli growers hope pomegranate prices rebound
“Everybody has good volumes at the end of October and into November,” said Yoav Nakash of Galilee Export. “Nothing is easy and everybody is struggling when the market has too much product. Prices have hit rock bottom, but now we hope they will start to recover again.” Because the Israeli season stretches into March, they can go into markets – like the Spanish market, which wraps up in February – where local supplies dry up before then. For now, though, it's tough going in Europe.
“The European market takes about 65 percent of what we export,” said Yoav. “The big sizes, which are upwards of 750 grams, go to the Russian market and the Far East.” Demand, both in Europe and the Far East, has grown in recent years, but so has the amount of fruit available. Two years ago, Galilee Export shipped 2,500 tons of fruit, last year it was 4,000 tons, and this year Yoav estimates they will ship 6,000 tons of pomegranates. Recent rains did nothing to curtail that prodigious production.
“We're pushing the growers to work with premium sizes and premium quality so we can export,” said Yoav. “Israel doesn't import fruit, so we can sell pomegranates in the spring and early summer. But, other than that, the local market is not so good.”
Galilee export has grown to be the second largest exporter of avocado, citrus and other fruit & vegetables in Israel. "We recognize the demands of our customers and meet their expectations. Our top priority is to ensure that the customers receive high quality products. Galilee export enjoys a growth of 30% in volumes due to new plantations and many new growers that joined us during the year. Galilee Export achieved a €100 millions turnover and the volumes shall increase in the same proportions of 20% again next season."
For more information:
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-12-01 "There is a massive amount of pineapples that will be ready to harvest in February across the industry"
- 2022-12-01 Pineapple market could gain strength in near future
- 2022-12-01 California sees better 2022 pomegranate crop with ample small sized fruit
- 2022-12-01 Tropical fruit grower adds Oro pineapples to product line up
- 2022-12-01 "Pink pineapple is a unique high-end Costa Rican product that reaches most exclusive markets in the world"
- 2022-12-01 "After a tough year, physalis and passion fruit sales now getting into the Christmas flow"
- 2022-12-01 Fruit inspection point at Mohan Station expected to open on December 3
- 2022-12-01 "Our sights are already set on Peru's kaki campaign"
- 2022-11-30 Dragon fruit catches on with Anantapur district growers
- 2022-11-30 ‘Poor-quality durians on Shanghai roadside do not come from Thailand’
- 2022-11-30 Which countries consume the most avocado in Europe?
- 2022-11-30 "We want to minimize the impact of chilling damage on avocado quality"
- 2022-11-30 The first batch of Vietnamese passion fruit imported into China from Guangxi Friendship Customs
- 2022-11-30 Demand for pomegranates triples at Christmas
- 2022-11-30 Luc Ngan lychee geographical indication protection proves profitable
- 2022-11-29 "The challenge for the sector of making kakis profitable is as current as ever"
- 2022-11-29 "The demand for Canary papayas has been especially high until a couple of weeks ago"
- 2022-11-29 Avocados Australia looks at export markets as growers brace for another oversupply situation
- 2022-11-29 New export season of mangosteens from Java has started
- 2022-11-29 Ugandan cane farmers opt for Hass avocado cultivation