- Sales Representative Substrates Peru
- Head Grower – High Technology Organic Greenhouse
- Import and Export Sales Manager
- Sales Manager - US
- Key Account Manager (f/m/d) - Full-time
- Vice President of Growing Operations
- Sales Manager
- Account Manager - United States
- Procurement Manager Blueberries
- International Fruit Trader
UK: Seasonal new potatoes, fresh from Italy, hit supermarket shelves
The seasonal new potatoes are imported into the country from the Puglia region where they are grown on a narrow 10-mile coastal strip, often no more than 300 metres wide. The growing area stretches northwest from the beach resort of Margarita de Savoia to neighbouring Zapponeta. Inland of this strip is a huge network of working saltpans and wetland nature reserve.
Stated Branston Sales and Marketing Director, James Truscott: ‘The Italian season plays a significant role in the all-round supply of fresh seasonal potatoes to the Tesco business. This year’s season is slightly earlier than previous years due to consistent weather providing near perfect growing conditions, which is evident in the quality of the potato itself.’
The specially selected variety Elvira is described as a ‘new’ offering that demonstrates a fresh fluffy skin finish, waxy texture and is complimented by a light nutty flavour.
The crop is grown by Giuseppe Distaso, whose family has been growing in the region for three generations and specialises in the variety. The cooler days of autumn provide ideal conditions for this limited seasonal crop of loose skinned new
potatoes. Even today they are harvested by hand to protect their delicate skin.
Added Tesco potato buyer, Emma Williams: ‘Our aim with the fresh potato offering is to showcase the very best in season throughout the year.
Alongside the main UK varieties, we are offering a taste of something different and unique all year round, which demonstrates our commitment to bringing the very best produce to the Tesco customer.’
Tesco Italian Elvira potatoes will be sold loose for £1.99 per KG and for the first time in a 750g pre pack format. The seasonal offering will run from October until early December. Visit www.branston.com to learn more.
For more information:
The Little Big Voice
Tel: +44 (0) 208 338 0188
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2020-05-26 "Ozone as an alternative for CIPC in transport"
- 2020-05-25 Solutions to disinfect fruits, vegetables, and fruit and vegetable collection centers
- 2020-05-22 "Low-cost Chinese thermometers meet all the basic needs of fruit exporters"
- 2020-05-15 "Special COVID-19 bonus" to facilitate labor in the field
- 2020-05-14 The modern mouse trap
- 2020-05-13 Frigga introduces a low-cost, single-use USB datalogger that lasts more than 90 days
- 2020-05-08 Valente produces complete systems for innovative crops
- 2020-05-08 “Traders must keep focusing on tasty snack tomatoes”
- 2020-05-07 Saving on the harvest of small fruits is possible
- 2020-04-30 "We offer the only waste-free post-harvest solution for stone fruit"
- 2020-04-22 Wide range of customization options with the Multytunnel system
- 2020-04-22 Frigga launches ultra-low-cost disposable USB temperature recorder
- 2020-04-22 New tests show significant improvement in watermelon productivity under climatic stress conditions
- 2020-04-14 “We bring a Latin touch to the European market”
- 2020-04-09 Innovative magnetic closing system for anti-insect nets
- 2020-04-01 Microwave technology to assist the fruit and vegetable supply chain