- Head Grower – High Technology Organic Greenhouse
- Import and Export Sales Manager
- Sales Manager - US
- Key Account Manager (f/m/d) - Full-time
- Vice President of Growing Operations
- Sales Manager
- Account Manager - United States
- Procurement Manager Blueberries
- International Fruit Trader
- Sales Manager (Europe Division)
India: Onion exports decline by 32.4% in current fiscal
Onions are exported to Malaysia, Dubai, Qatar, Kuwait, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Mauritius, Bangladesh, Nepal and other countries from Maharashtra, Gujarat, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh, Andhra Pradesh and other states.
"The export of onions has declined by 32.67 per cent to 8.53 lakh tonnes, against the export of 12.67 lakh tonnes during the corresponding period in the last fiscal 2012-'13. The decline in export is due to reduced supply over the past few months and a higher Minimum Export Price (MEP) set by the government," an official of the National Horticulture Research and Development Foundation ( NHRDF) told TOI on Friday.
The union government had revised the earlier MEP of onion, which stood at $1,150 a tonne, to $850 a tonne on December 16. With domestic prices of the crop falling sharply, farmers had strongly sought removal of MEP and had staged a rasta roko on the Mumbai-Agra national highway on Thursday and carried out similar protests over the past week. Finally, the government on Thursday reduced the MEP to $350 a tonne.
In 2012-13, the country had exported 18.22 lakh tonnes of onions, raking in an export revenue of Rs 2,294.90-crore. India's annual onion production is estimated to be about 131.47 lakh tonnes, with 7.73 lakh hectares of area under onion cultivation. Onion is grown in the kharif, late kharif (also called rangada) and rabi (summer) seasons. In 2012-13, the area under onion production was 9.92 lakh hectares, including 2.62 lakh hectares in Maharashtra, 1.82 lakh hectares in Karnataka, 96,880 hectares in Madhya Pradesh and 84,130 hectares in Andhra Pradesh.
In 2012-13, onion production stood at 166 lakh tonnes, including 47.63 lakh tonnes from Maharashtra, 25.23 lakh tonnes from Karnataka, 21.50 lakh tonnes from Madhya Pradesh and 15.14 lakh tonnes from Andhra Pradesh.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-11-29 No suggested retail price for onions, despite high prices
- 2023-11-29 Poor shelf life of onions across Europe causes uncertainty as to whether there will be enough supply
- 2023-11-29 "By June, German onions will probably not be available everywhere"
- 2023-11-29 Potato prices remain elevated in Bangladesh
- 2023-11-28 McCain Foods continues to drive innovation in agriculture with launch of Presia Ag Insights
- 2023-11-28 Onion imports from Afghanistan have increased at Attari ICP
- 2023-11-28 Rain and hail slammed Nashik onion fields this Sunday
- 2023-11-28 PEI potato industry recognizes four members
- 2023-11-28 "Tension between buying and selling on the potato market"
- 2023-11-28 “Two-speed” season for French pink onions
- 2023-11-28 France sees cost of potatoes soaring
- 2023-11-27 Americans may soon be paying more for potatoes
- 2023-11-27 In Ukraine, the winter supply of vegetables is rapidly melting: onion prices may rise to last year’s values
- 2023-11-24 Delayed harvesting in the NEPG. Uncertainties about final production
- 2023-11-24 Government allows certain onion consignments to be exported until November 30
- 2023-11-24 AI is able to monitor and predict potato nutrition in real time