- Sales Representative Substrates Peru
- Head Grower – High Technology Organic Greenhouse
- Import and Export Sales Manager
- Sales Manager - US
- Key Account Manager (f/m/d) - Full-time
- Vice President of Growing Operations
- Sales Manager
- Account Manager - United States
- Procurement Manager Blueberries
- International Fruit Trader
Gerard Hoekman, Mulder Onions:
"Expectations set too high at the start of the onion season"
The exporter is also sombre looking to the weeks ahead. "There is far too much stock to clear. Africa is full of Moroccan onions, The Far East has stock from China and Brazil, where this time last year many went, are now at a price which we cannot compete," summed up Gerard. "It doesn't bode well. In the first half of the season you ensure you have the volume, then in the second half the customers come to you. Now we are losing loads to European destinations, the Far East and Central America, while you try to make normal amounts at this time."
The bale price depends on the sorting, and presently has fallen from 23 cents to 18. "The question is, where is the bottom? If the price is falling every day, this does not inspire confidence in customers. The quality of the onions is happily better than last year and it was well reported that we had fewer onions but with 5% less waste and lower export it can quickly level the work on export volumes compared to last year," explained the exporter.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-11-30 No potato shortage in Ireland this Christmas, but prices could rise
- 2023-11-30 Georgia has refused entry to 21.5 tons of Belarusian potatoes
- 2023-11-30 New way to peel potatoes quickly
- 2023-11-30 Cimegra label expanded for use on potato beetles
- 2023-11-30 'Demand for onions has been good this week'
- 2023-11-29 No suggested retail price for onions, despite high prices
- 2023-11-29 Poor shelf life of onions across Europe causes uncertainty as to whether there will be enough supply
- 2023-11-29 "By June, German onions will probably not be available everywhere"
- 2023-11-29 Potato prices remain elevated in Bangladesh
- 2023-11-28 McCain Foods continues to drive innovation in agriculture with launch of Presia Ag Insights
- 2023-11-28 Onion imports from Afghanistan have increased at Attari ICP
- 2023-11-28 Rain and hail slammed Nashik onion fields this Sunday
- 2023-11-28 PEI potato industry recognizes four members
- 2023-11-28 "Tension between buying and selling on the potato market"
- 2023-11-28 “Two-speed” season for French pink onions
- 2023-11-28 France sees cost of potatoes soaring