- Sales Representative Substrates Peru
- Head Grower – High Technology Organic Greenhouse
- Import and Export Sales Manager
- Sales Manager - US
- Key Account Manager (f/m/d) - Full-time
- Vice President of Growing Operations
- Sales Manager
- Account Manager - United States
- Procurement Manager Blueberries
- International Fruit Trader
Aromatic herbs with anti-listerial effect for fresh-cut carrot and cabbage
The results confirmed the antimicrobial activity of the aromatic herbs, and the anti-listerial effects resulted in the order: thyme EO > oregano EO > rosemary herb > rosemary EO (Table 1).
Table 1. - Summary of the overall maximum reduction in counts for all the antimicrobial treatments tested on lettuce, carrot discs, coleslaw mix and shredded cabbage at 8°C (TBCs=total bacterial counts, ND=not determined) Click here to enlarge.
Thyme EO resulted the most effective against Listeria, however the direct application of all tested essential oils damaged the appearance of fresh-cut product. In general, it is not possible the direct use of essential oils during minimally processing because of their phytotoxic effects on vegetable.
Shredded fresh rosemary showed an high potential anti-listerial effect, while shredded fresh thyme and oregano did not show anti-listerial effects. However, fresh rosemary herb resulted effective only when it was stomached with fresh-cut vegetable prior to microbial analysis.
The effectiveness of these antimicrobial treatments varied according to the fresh-cut product: the best antimicrobial effects were detected on carrot discs and shredded cabbage. The same scientists have hypothesized a sinergistic antimicrobial effect between carrot and rosemary and cabbage and rosemary.
Source: Scollard J., Francis G.A., O'Beirne D., "Some conventional and latent anti-listerial effects of essential oils, herbs, carrot and cabbage in fresh-cut vegetable systems", 2013, Postharvest Biology and Technology, Volume 77, pagg. 87-93. Further info: www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0925521412002657
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2017-02-16 Italy: La Linea Verde focuses on service content
- 2017-02-01 Edible solution doubles shelf life of fresh produce
- 2016-10-28 Stationary fresh-cut vegetable sales
- 2016-10-27 Half of the fresh-cut fruit is in plastic punnets
- 2016-10-25 Crazy marketing strategies led to lower margins
- 2016-10-19 Competition from burgers, soups and advanced vegetable products
- 2016-10-14 Past five years positive for fresh-cut salad
- 2016-10-13 Bonduelle launches Filiera Garantita ® project
- 2016-09-29 Agribologna: Fresh-cut fruit is growing, especially in retail shops
- 2016-09-20 Brexit forces UK company to look further afield
- 2016-09-19 La Linea Verde introduces fresh-cut superfood
- 2016-07-18 Edible coating made from prickly pears applied to fresh-cut kiwis
- 2016-06-06 8th European short-course on quality & safety of fresh-cut produce
- 2016-04-14 "I have always been close to the family business"
- 2016-02-01 400 kg fresh produce per hour in air drying tunnel
- 2015-11-27 Clean and high quality baby leafy vegetables