- Production Manager
- Assistant Professor - Controlled Environments Entomologist
- Technical Development Specialist | Horticulture | France
- Director of Business Development | Middle East | Agtech
- Farm/Production Manager; Berlin (m/w/d)
- Trader Asian Market
- Avocado Growing Manager - Kenya
- Sales Manager for Nordic countries (H/F)
- Trader - Buyer Zachtfruit en Exoten
- Senior Breeder
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
- Medicinal mushrooms the next big trend?
- Rainy run-up to the South African litchi harvest aids sizing
- "A month later, we've had to replant up to 27% of the strawberry plants"
- Freak hailstorm in Chile touches cherry, table grape and blueberry farms
- Western Australia’s pome industry said goodbye to two legends this month
Top 5 -last month
Marketing... what is it?
The university student doing in-store promotions on Saturdays to pay the rent – she works in marketing. Also the Junior Account in your advertising agency, who spends his nights in the agency for little money hoping for a brighter future – he works in marketing. The Product Manager of a multinational company, with a MBA from a top school works in marketing too, as well as the top manager who is Marketing Director for a big Telco and earns hundreds thousands of Euro a year.
Marketing is a very wide concept. It includes all the activities linking a company to the market. Studying the market, analysing customer needs, developing new products, designing a brand with its packaging, setting up communication programs. Marketing is all this (and more).
And every company does it, more or less consciously, also produce companies do marketing.
Here’s the produce marketing problem: quite often, important marketing decisions like choosing a name for a brand or designing its pack are taken without thinking too much, or basing decisions on intuition or friends’ advice. In the end - this is the prevailing idea - producing and selling is what really matters. Then we leave the market deciding whether this year we’ll make some profit. All the rest is a waste of time.
This was possible, once upon a time. Now, it’s not. World has changed. Produce offer is wide and global. Big retailers dominates the market. Competition is far stronger. Pressure on price and margin is becoming more and more unsustainable.
To get out of the scenario where the winner is who sells at the lowest price, produce companies need to start using marketing concepts, and need to do it in a professional way. They need to convince trade and consumers that their products are worth being paid more for. They have to design strong brands, with a unique and differentiating idea behind. They need to improve their communication with consumers, starting with a better packaging.
You don’t need a lot of money to do all this, You just need to do things well.
Pisani Fresh Marketing is a consulting & marketing and commercial services agency for the produce world. It has been founded by Maurizio Pisani, former marketing Director for Chiquita and Commercial Director for Del Monte.
For more information:
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-11-23 Jamaica Producers veteran Marshall Hall has died
- 2022-11-18 Seasonal workers urged to sign NFU letter to the Immigration Minister
- 2022-11-14 World Bank plans insurance help for Central American farmers
- 2022-11-11 How rising energy prices, fluctuating exchange rate affects Dutch cultivation and trade, plus several other developments
- 2022-11-10 NZ: Stink bugs at the border
- 2022-11-10 Large increase of brown marmorated stink bugs poses serious threat to Oregon crops
- 2022-11-10 Freshfel Europe calls to introduce international SPS standards
- 2022-11-08 Labor arbitrage, fruit and vegetable imports, and supply chain resiliency
- 2022-11-07 Minister Enoch Godongwana responds to media reports regarding Eskom remarks
- 2022-11-02 Change at the helm of APM Terminals Nordics
- 2022-11-02 Freshfel Environmental Footprint Initiative embarks on shadow PEFCR for fruit & vegetables
- 2022-11-01 World Potato Congress board of directors congratulates Xiaoping Lu
- 2022-10-20 Labor exploitation investigation prompts launch of 'fairer temp agency'
- 2022-10-18 Freshfel Europe calls for action against soaring energy prices and its impact on fresh produce
- 2022-10-18 Growers angry over new overtime regulations
- 2022-10-17 Sustaining local communities in Honduras with an off-season corn-planting program
- 2022-10-14 Blue Diamond Growers President and CEO Mark Jansen announces plans to step down
- 2022-10-13 Spanish Government approves a legislative package for the implementation of the CAP in the fruit and vegetable sector
- 2022-10-13 The World Potato Congress Inc. welcomes its new executive director
- 2022-10-06 Collaborations and economic opportunities between Italy and Tanzania