- Production Manager
- Assistant Professor - Controlled Environments Entomologist
- Technical Development Specialist | Horticulture | France
- Director of Business Development | Middle East | Agtech
- Farm/Production Manager; Berlin (m/w/d)
- Trader Asian Market
- Avocado Growing Manager - Kenya
- Sales Manager for Nordic countries (H/F)
- Trader - Buyer Zachtfruit en Exoten
- Senior Breeder
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
- Medicinal mushrooms the next big trend?
- Rainy run-up to the South African litchi harvest aids sizing
- "A month later, we've had to replant up to 27% of the strawberry plants"
- Freak hailstorm in Chile touches cherry, table grape and blueberry farms
- Western Australia’s pome industry said goodbye to two legends this month
Top 5 -last month
Tesco drops to eighth place in battle to be best UK supermarket
The chain comes eighth place out of ten major retailers, according to the analysis of which grocery giants offer the best shopping experience.
Tesco suffered a poor trading period last Christmas, followed by profit warnings, share price falls and a revamp of its own-brand range after poor sales.
Only “no frill” specialists Aldi and Lidl are below them in the top ten, with all Tesco’s “big four” rivals doing better in the study by consumer website canieatit.co.uk.
Using its own research and feedback from thousands of users, the site has tested every aspect of the “shopping experience” in each of the chains.
This includes how easy it is to get around stores, the range in each department and the helpfulness of staff.
In addition, the site has bought and tasted thousands of products – both branded and own label – to compare prices, choice, quality and concerns such as salt and sugar levels.
All the information is then put on to a smart phone app so that users can scan the barcode of any grocery product and get all the information on their mobile phone.
Using all this data and consumer feedback allowed canieatit.co.uk to rank the supermarkets for their overall shopping experience.
Top of the table is Waitrose, which has improved its overall range while making its own label products more competitively priced, said canieatit.co.uk
This means it competes better with upmarket rivals such as M&S and mid-market competitors like Tesco, Sainsbury’s, Asda and Morrisons – the big four.
Ocado, the independent online grocer which sells both branded and Waitrose own-label goods, is in second.
Martin Isark of canieatit.co.uk said: “Tesco, like Asda, has not done badly, they have just not improved as much as the supermarkets above them.
“Their aisle staff’s product knowledge is not as good as it could be. Waitrose, Marks & Spencer and Sainsbury’s lead the way.”
He added: “The staff seem the least at ease of the big supermarkets. The fresh fish and meat counters are a big step down from Morrisons with their service and quality.
“The fruit and veg is not as consistent or as good as Waitrose, Marks & Spencer, Sainsbury’s or the Co-operative.
“The freshly baked bread is a notch below Sainsbury’s and no better than Lidl’s.”
Marks & Spencer is in third place, with Sainsbury’s behind them, slightly ahead of The Co-operative.
Waitrose – score 9.5
Ocado - score 9.0
Marks & Spencer - score 8.5
Sainsbury’s - score 8.0
The Co-operative - score 7.5
Morrisons - score 7.0
Asda - score 6.5
Tesco - score 6.0
Aldi - score 5.5
Lidl - score 5.0
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-11-25 Amazon workers in the U.S. and 30 other countries plan Black Friday protests
- 2022-11-24 Lawsuit filed over short paychecks at Fred Meyer, QFC
- 2022-11-24 Amazon to open online grocery store in UAE
- 2022-11-23 JD.com cuts executive pay to help lower-level employees buy homes
- 2022-11-23 Walmart and Target’s quarterly results lay bare the retailers’ differences
- 2022-11-22 Lidl sees strongest share growth in France in October
- 2022-11-22 Teamsters ratify national contract at Kroger
- 2022-11-21 Southeastern Grocers exploring sale, report says
- 2022-11-21 UK: Tesco wants to squash Lidl's attempt to build a new store
- 2022-11-18 HelloFresh is officially launching its service in Spain
- 2022-11-18 Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage: Fiscal 2022 Q4 and full year results
- 2022-11-17 Lidl GB said more shoppers were switching to it
- 2022-11-17 Q3 sales edge up amid earnings plunge for Target
- 2022-11-16 Makro/Metro Belgium: “More bids than expected”
- 2022-11-16 Walmart: Robust Q3
- 2022-11-15 Shoprite Holdings reported first-quarter sales growth of 18.6%
- 2022-11-15 One year U.S. anniversary: Getir goes bananas!
- 2022-11-14 Asda returned to underlying sales growth in its latest quarter
- 2022-11-14 Wagner’s IGA: 100th anniversary with new ownership
- 2022-11-11 Intermarché gets go-ahead for acquisition of the former Carrefour stores operated by Mestdagh