- Customer Support Executive
- Sales Representative Substrates Peru
- Head Grower – High Technology Organic Greenhouse
- Import and Export Sales Manager
- Sales Manager - US
- Key Account Manager (f/m/d) - Full-time
- Vice President of Growing Operations
- Sales Manager
- Account Manager - United States
- Procurement Manager Blueberries
Oversupply of romaine hitting the market in the US
“Supplies of romaine are plentiful. All the growing areas are overlapping unfortunately,” says Dan Andrews of Bakersfield, Ca.-based Dan Andrews Farms, who adds that volume is slightly up this year as well.
This comes after a hot summer and fall which prompted romaine to grow quickly, triggering some shippers to lose product and a subsequent supply gap of two to three weeks on not only romaine but other vegetables.
At the same time, Andrews characterizes demand as average for this time of year. “Most of the buyers are looking for the Thanksgiving items and romaine isn’t on the top of their list,” he says. “They need it but it isn’t the top demand item for the big Thanksgiving promotions. It’s kind of status quo and demand is slightly less than last year.”
During the gap, not surprisingly prices picked up. “When the market gets short, prices go too high,” says Andrews. And it also took some time for retailers to readjust their pricing once the new supplies of romaine arrived. Now, Andrews says pricing is at a break even to below break even level. “There are just too many areas overlapping right now so we can’t get the prices we want,” he says.
Supply to stay…for now
Looking ahead, Andrews sees the oversupply continuing to fill the market at least for another two weeks. “It’ll take until December when the weather starts cooling off and slowing down supply and the price should perk up in December,” he says. “But November will be cheap.”
For more information:
Dan Andrews Farms
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-12-06 Demand and pricing especially strong on grape tomatoes
- 2023-12-06 Vertically-grown cherry tomato introduced
- 2023-12-06 Challenges and growth: Ukraine's pepper market dynamics
- 2023-12-06 "Almost no cauliflower to be found"
- 2023-12-06 "Professionals in the industry know that this is Europe's center for asparagus and berries"
- 2023-12-06 Exploring cucumber winter production at High-Tech Trial Center
- 2023-12-06 IFA launches Christmas campaign featuring the best of Irish produce
- 2023-12-06 Israel faces tomato shortage: prices surge as imported vegetables dominate shelves
- 2023-12-06 Mongolia achieves record-high vegetable production
- 2023-12-05 "Growers have been supplying the Christmas market for a long time and are very adept at dealing with the pressures"
- 2023-12-05 Indonesian inflation driven by red chili price
- 2023-12-05 The European garlic market in crisis?
- 2023-12-05 Ukraine: Producers of white cabbage have raised wholesale prices
- 2023-12-05 “Lion's Mane mushrooms have become a very interesting option due to their flavor and texture”
- 2023-12-05 "Fluctuating prices for Spanish greenhouse vegetables, quality not an issue"
- 2023-12-05 "We have had a consistently warm summer with little precipitation since 2017"