- Sales Representative Substrates Peru
- Head Grower – High Technology Organic Greenhouse
- Import and Export Sales Manager
- Sales Manager - US
- Key Account Manager (f/m/d) - Full-time
- Vice President of Growing Operations
- Sales Manager
- Account Manager - United States
- Procurement Manager Blueberries
- International Fruit Trader
MAF Roda launches first ever dragon fruit sorting line
Dragon fruit is becoming increasingly popular among Chinese consumers. As a result, a growing number of dragon fruit orchards have been planted in recent years, which are currently coming into production. “Dragon fruit is relatively new on the Chinese market, but the fruit is quickly growing in popularity. We are currently cooperating with a number of new farms, that have recently come into production,” says Jean Christophe, V.P.O of MAF Roda China.
MAF Roda's new dragon fruit sorting line
The line was launched after a couple of years of research and production trials
Dragon fruit is a very particular product to sort. The fruit is delicate and is prone to damage and bruises. In addition, its shape is characteristically irregular. “Two years ago we received the first request by a customer for a dragon fruit sorting line. After doing a number of tests in our workshop in Yantai, Shandong province, we developed a new machine. We installed this machine one year later. After having installed this first line, we worked on improving the technology. This year, we managed to develop a complete solution for dragon fruit sorting. We are currently selling different machines customized to different dragon fruit varieties."
Domestic dragon fruit production is rapidly increasing. New orchards are opening in the country’s Southern provinces such as Hainan and Guangxi. The growers try to fill gaps in supply when imported dragon fruit from Vietnam is not in season.
“Most of the farms where we are working are very new. The reason why we followed up on the request of our customers two years ago is that we realized this product holds a lot of potential.”
China's domestic dragon fruit production has been growing year on year
Chinese domestic dragon fruit packing house
Sorting criteria and capacity
“The main sorting criteria is sorting by weight, without damaging the fruit. The weight result is very accurate because our electronic and weighing system is imported from our head office in France. The peel of the dragon fruit is very tender, and so are the small leaves. Customers appreciate the leaves, and when they get damaged the market value of the fruit goes down.”
“Sorting capacity is considerable. Our machines can sort up to five tons per line per hour. Many of our customers are using two sorting lanes. This gives them a sorting capacity of eight to ten tons per hour. This way, the farms manage to get their investment in the equipment back rapidly. They can work very fast, and supply good, stable quality products to their clients. “
At the same time MAF Roda was developing its first dragon fruit sorting, the company also invested in the development of a pre-sizer. This machine is useful when the harvested fruit cannot be sold all at once. When using a pre-sizer, part of the fruit can be sized and put aside, to be packed later on.
“20 years ago, MAF Roda was the first company to sell and install an electronical apple sorter in China. We then were the first to install an electronical sizer for citrus, kiwis and cherries. I am incredibly proud to have another first to celebrate.”
For more information:
Jean-Christophe Couzin, V.P.O
MAF Roda China
Telephone: +86 535 6758 388
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-12-05 Construction of new Multivac production factory starts
- 2023-12-05 Zespri colaboration to reduce carbon footprint
- 2023-12-05 Fruca's parent company transfers 90 million of its capital stock to three new companies
- 2023-12-04 Partnership agreement between Raedial Farms Ltd and Compagnie Fruitière
- 2023-12-04 Sport: Rungis promotes "healthy eating"
- 2023-12-04 AgDevCo expands portfolio in Mozambique with new investment
- 2023-12-01 Tajikistan explores swift perishable goods delivery with Agroexpress integration
- 2023-12-01 Eqraft opens new headquarters in Netherlands
- 2023-12-01 170th anniversary for Bonduelle
- 2023-12-01 Sanlucar expands its business to Asia
- 2023-12-01 "On opening day, we already sold over a truckful of vegetables"
- 2023-12-01 Maersk settles lawsuit over blockage Suez Canal in 2021
- 2023-11-30 Tosca welcomes Indy Obhi as Managing Director UK and Ireland
- 2023-11-30 For Rent: Property located in the transport zone Meer in Belgium
- 2023-11-30 Manter, IMA Ilapak Italia and IMA Record announce exclusive partnership
- 2023-11-30 WayCool's technology subsidiary allies with Yola Fresh