- Customer Support Executive
- Sales Representative Substrates Peru
- Head Grower – High Technology Organic Greenhouse
- Import and Export Sales Manager
- Sales Manager - US
- Key Account Manager (f/m/d) - Full-time
- Vice President of Growing Operations
- Sales Manager
- Account Manager - United States
- Procurement Manager Blueberries
Fairtrasa’s partnership with mango growers bears fruit
Fairtrasa is a social enterprise that supports small-scale farmers in developing countries and links them to international markets. Grower-cooperatives in Mexico, Chile, Colombia and Peru offer their premium organic and fairtrade produce directly to European customers through Fairtrasa’s channels.
The Agrovida Cooperative is one of Fairtrasa’s partners in Peru. The association was formed in 2005 by 20 small-scale organic mango growers from San Lorenzo, Piura. Agrovida experienced a series of challenging years because unscrupulous traders did not pay them for their fruit. As a result, the producers lost their incomes and became saddled with exorbitant debt.
Agrovida’s partnership with Fairtrasa started in 2010. Fairtrasa helped the cooperative become fairtrade-certified and pre-financed the construction of their storage facilities so the farmers could meet Global GAP standards. It extended credit to the association to purchase organic fertilizers. In 2012, Agrovida produced four containers of fresh mangoes and five containers of puréed mangoes. By the end of 2013, it aims to ship 15 containers of fresh organic fruit and seven containers of puréed fruit.
The successful partnership with Fairtrasa has helped Agrovida maintain the confidence of its members. The cooperative has since gained 32 new small-scale producers. “We value the respect given to us as producers. Our relationship with Fairtrasa helps us build a better future,” says Andrés Basturin, president of Agrovida.
For more information:
Fairtrasa Holland B.V.
Tel: +31 174 291 600
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-12-06 "Focused organic expertise under one roof"
- 2023-11-17 AMI figures and data on organic potatoes and vegetables in Germany
- 2023-11-10 WUR and partners to support Chira Valley organic banana growers
- 2023-11-10 Combating climate change with artificial intelligence, water technology and robotics
- 2023-11-07 6th Biofruit Congress confirms rebound in growth of organic market
- 2023-11-06 Market Development Facility and Fijian farmers sign ginger farming deal
- 2023-11-03 “Highlight of a decisive year for the sector”
- 2023-10-27 Organic produce sales and volume edge up again in Q3
- 2023-10-24 "We as farms are already organic - now it's time to make the customers organic too"
- 2023-10-20 U.S. Specialty Crop Coalition endorses legislation addressing nutrition, organics
- 2023-10-19 IFPA applauds introduction of new organics legislation
- 2023-10-19 West-Bengal Agricultural Marketing department unveils ‘Organic market’ at New Town
- 2023-10-19 "We are looking forward to the Peruvian season, despite the challenges"
- 2023-10-18 Pennsylvania’s organic mushroom production area more than doubled from 2019 to 2021
- 2023-10-17 "Great organic potential in developing countries"
- 2023-10-10 US scientists study watermelons to improve organic cultivation