- Production Director Phalaenopsis - Taiwan
- Flower Grower - Canada
- Trader - Buyer Zachtfruit en Exoten
- (Junior) Account Manager France
- Installation Support Engineer (Supervisor)
- Teeltspecialisten Engeland
- Commercial Support Coordinator (32-40 hours)
- Quality Assurance Manager
- Sr Construction Project Manager
- China country manager
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
- Vegetable trade war between Botswana and South Africa escalates
- Europe puts a lid on organic orange production in South Africa
- "I have 400 tons of unsold grapes on the vines"
- Citrus exporter: Appeal to shipping lines met with “an arrogance that astonishes me”
- Faster avocado growing method developed by Israeli researchers
Sweet potatoes a growing niche in Europe
“Prices are not where we'd like to see them for the international market,” said Southern Produce Distributors' Kelley Precythe. “Honduras, Egypt and Spain just started their crops, so the volumes we're shipping internationally will fall off a bit because of that.” Part of the reason for the drop is the additional product on the market, but some of it is also due to the lower costs that growers in Honduras have to contend with and which allows them to offer lower prices for their sweet potatoes.
“It's hard to compete with Honduran prices,” said Precythe. “But then again, they don't have the uniformed pack varieties we have, so it's hard for them to compete with us in that respect.” He added that this is usually the time of year when volumes typically start to come down, as the peak-volume months come in January and February. The only thing that's different is that prices have been lower than expected.
Southern Produce was the first US supplier to export sweet potatoes to Europe, and Precythe noted that the growth of the product has been very good in the 15 years since they started shipping produce there. But they're still working hard to make the sweet potato in Europe as prominent a product as it is in the US. With consumers aware of the health benefits of the product and with added activity from the processing sector, domestic sales have been steadily rising over the years. That's also been the case for international sales, but those haven't been anywhere near the sales done in the US. Precythe wants to change that.
“In Europe, sweet potatoes are still considered an exotic item,” he said. “We want to educate Europeans on the health benefits of sweet potatoes and we want to show them the different ways they can prepare them; once you do that, people start buying them.”
For more information:
Southern Produce Distributors, Inc.
Tel: +1 (910) 267-0011
Fax: +1 (910) 267-1455
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-10-06 "Good start of Peruvian blueberry campaign in Europe"
- 2022-10-06 Davao Department Of Agriculture predicts great demand for local durian variety on Chinese market
- 2022-10-05 Demand for papayas has slowed down
- 2022-10-05 Bahia: Value of fruit culture reaches r$ 4.5 billion
- 2022-10-05 Port of Pecém resumed fruit exports to Spain and Italy
- 2022-10-05 Global avocado demand still creates business opportunities in Africa
- 2022-10-05 Chance of winning an Avocado-Rams custom electric vehicle
- 2022-10-04 "Roasted lemon caviar powder is a unique product in the world which we make using different varieties that we grow"
- 2022-10-04 Increase in volumes expected for the Kiwi Passion Consortium
- 2022-10-03 "The consumer deserves to eat an exceptional avocado and not a mediocre fruit at an unjustifiable price"
- 2022-10-03 "Hi-technology gives us a competitive position on the global market”
- 2022-10-03 Producers have accomplished growing kiwi outside its growing area for the first time
- 2022-10-03 Peru: Ancash region food exports amounted to 206 million dollars between January and July
- 2022-10-03 Inflation, high shipping rates squeeze profit margins of Costa Rican pineapples
- 2022-10-03 Italian season Rojo Brillante persimmon is about to start
- 2022-10-03 Pomegranate season has been underway for a month in Italy
- 2022-09-30 Mexican avocados still a multi-billion dollar hit in the US
- 2022-09-30 Cerrado should become Brazil's fruit growing hub
- 2022-09-30 “Demand for pomegranates is at a higher level than last year”
- 2022-09-30 Salento Bio boasts 150 hectares of organic prickly pears