- Office (sales) manager China - Zhangjiagang
- Apple Production Manager - Freestate, South Africa
- Entomologist - Canada
- Head Grower - Hudson (OH) USA
- Product Developer - Italy
- Commercial Manager | Fresh Produce | Kenya
- Technical sales Specialist North Europe (Benelux - Germany)
- Technical sales specialists Florida, Virginia, North Caroline, South Carolina, Texas, - USA
- Business Development Manager Spain
- Director of Operations - Ethiopia
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
- OVERVIEW GLOBAL AVOCADO MARKET
- Kenyan avocado season has mixed results depending on variety
- Walmart: $10bln surprise after buying Flipkart
- "Ceremony held for first shipment of cold-treatment-free cherries from Izmir, Turkey"
- "If you do not have IP amongst your offering you will quickly lose relevance in the market"
Top 5 -last month
Malaysia: New weapon against banana disease
Moko or Ralstonia solanacearum bacterium is a disease affecting banana production worldwide but took hold in Malaysia after a major flood afflicted Johor in 2007.
Since then, the production of bananas in commercial farms has been dwindling as the disease spread to other parts of the peninsular.
As a result of this, Provet Group of Companies Sdn Bhd together with Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM) and the Agricultural Department experimented on a supplement called IMO-Plus to combat the disease.
A trial run carried out on a small farm in Johor last year for six months had proven effective and together with the Selangor Agriculture Department, the company conducted another trial run in Kampung Jenderam Hulu, Sepang.
Provet's development director Nasrun Din said, "A six-month monitoring showed that there was a 60% chance of success.
"We then extended its trial to120 cluster with weekly monitoring done and showed a 70% success rate," he said.
Nasrun said that the company has sent the product to UTM and Malaysian Agricultural Research and Development Institute (Mardi) for further tests.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2019-07-18 Chinese banana imports grow following international free trade agreement
- 2019-07-18 India: Kerala banana farmers form association
- 2019-07-18 Devastating banana disease may have reached Latin America
- 2019-07-17 Cameroon H1 2019 banana exports drop by 61% year-on-year
- 2019-07-16 First report of black Sigatoka on Reunion Island
- 2019-07-15 EU banana prices trending downward
- 2019-07-15 China: Increasing demand drives banana prices up slightly
- 2019-07-15 AU: Banana growers urge Queensland Government to reconsider regulation
- 2019-07-15 Colombia: Some banana crops in quarantine over fungus concerns
- 2019-07-12 Colombia: Black Sigatoka detected in two farms in La Guajira
- 2019-07-12 Kenya: 83-year-old arrested for disguising marijuana as bananas
- 2019-07-11 Bananas: Sales were predominantly slow
- 2019-07-11 Chinese banana price could rapidly rise this year
- 2019-07-11 Chiquita shares ways in which it helps children and women
- 2019-07-11 Banana imports into US Jan-May 2019 - down 2.4%
- 2019-07-10 Asprocan claims agreement with Mercosur will increase risk of banana oversupply
- 2019-07-10 China: July banana prices higher year on year
- 2019-07-10 It’s Fresh! signs agreement with Ecuadorian banana association
- 2019-07-09 Panamanian exports grow thanks to the banana
- 2019-07-08 EU banana supply 2018 reaches 6.5 million ton