- Buitendienst Medewerker - België
- Assistant Grower Manager Tomato & Capsicums - Malaysia Highlands
- Assistant Grower Manager Lettuce & Herbs - Malaysia Highlands
- Team Leader - Quarantine Greenhouse - Netherlands/German border area
- Trainee Production Management - starting location Ethiopia
- Сhief technologist, Tula region - Russia
- Сhief technology officer, Tula region - Russia
- Controller Technician / Electrician - Horticulture, Australia
- International Editor – Netherlands
- Farming Manager – Atherton Tablelands, Australia
Top 5 -yesterday
- More sustainable packaging for Rockit mini-apple
- Chile: US retail begins to demand blockchain technology
- UK: Short supply creates "incredible" demand for sweet potatoes
- "The Paris basin is experiencing significant problems in terms of supply and quality"
- Improved weather conditions for Mexico blackberry season
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Greek watermelon production down
Watermelon growers in the Peloponnese region of Greece are blaming a bad economic situation for a much reduced harvest. Although they're optimistic about the quality of the crop, lack of economic resources and no government help have contributed to the current situation.
"Volume is down by about 50 percent from last year," said Dimi Paidakis of Zangostar Export Group in Greece. "I'm not exactly sure, but we'll have about 100,000 metric tons of watermelons this year." She blamed the significant drop in production on the bad economic situation.
"Most of the growers had no money to cultivate watermelons," she said. On top of that, the political climate offered no help for growers. "Growers had no union, no organization, they had no government help, so the political situation has not helped them," she added. But going forward, Dimi hopes to introduce some sort of cooperation in order to better market watermelons from the Peloponnese region in the southern part of Greece.
"Our intention is to gather growers from the region to contract them to grow what clients want," she said. "That way growers can grow what clients want. If they want seedless watermelon, for example, we can do that, whatever the client wants."
Currently, Zangostar ships four varieties of watermelons to the Netherlands, United Kingdom and several Scandinavian countries, with exports growing every year. She attributes the popularity of their fruit on the good growing conditions in the Peloponnese region.
"The region, because it's near the sea and has sandy soil, makes for great fruit," said Dimi. "The watermelons are great in taste, great in colour, great in everything."
For more information:
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2018-12-07 Italy: Successful partnership between Apofruit Italia and Società Frutticoltori Trento
- 2018-12-06 "Limited impact of hail on Chilean berry season"
- 2018-12-04 “We invested in new varieties and IQ optical sourcing lines”
- 2018-12-03 Chile: “We expect good volumes for Chilean cherry export”
- 2018-12-03 South Africa: Electricity cuts a great irritation to fruit industry
- 2018-11-29 What kinds of fruit do Taiwanese customers like to eat?
- 2018-11-29 Argentina: Blueberry export volumes are behind compared to last year
- 2018-11-28 Mexico: “We hope to start our strawberry export to Europe this season”
- 2018-11-27 Tunisian fruit exports to Libya soaring
- 2018-11-27 Ukrainian apples shipped to five Middle Eastern markets for the first time
- 2018-11-27 Sharp drop of Moldovan apple, plum and table grape exports to Russia
- 2018-11-23 Del Monte presents on-the-go fruit snacking ranges
- 2018-11-22 “There is an increase in demand for Mexican berries”
- 2018-11-21 “The West consumes fruit, in the East fruit can also be a gift or an offering”
- 2018-11-20 “Belgian growers in dire straits, but entire European fruit sector is suffering”
- 2018-11-20 Italy: Agreement for marketing of the Tessa apple
- 2018-11-19 Didn't visit Interpoma 2018? Check the FreshPlaza photo gallery!
- 2018-11-19 Vietnam: fruits coming from every country but Italy
- 2018-11-14 Greeks extend European grape season
- 2018-11-13 Poland: Free apples handed out in Warsaw and Lublin