- Office (sales) manager China - Zhangjiagang
- Apple Production Manager - Freestate, South Africa
- Entomologist - Canada
- Head Grower - Hudson (OH) USA
- Product Developer - Italy
- Commercial Manager | Fresh Produce | Kenya
- Technical sales Specialist North Europe (Benelux - Germany)
- Technical sales specialists Florida, Virginia, North Caroline, South Carolina, Texas, - USA
- Business Development Manager Spain
- Director of Operations - Ethiopia
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
- OVERVIEW GLOBAL AVOCADO MARKET
- Kenyan avocado season has mixed results depending on variety
- Walmart: $10bln surprise after buying Flipkart
- "Ceremony held for first shipment of cold-treatment-free cherries from Izmir, Turkey"
- "If you do not have IP amongst your offering you will quickly lose relevance in the market"
Top 5 -last month
US: Fresh & Easy comes under pressure from parent Tesco
Large shareholders, looking for Tesco to show recovery after recent poor results, have asked the company to pull out of Fresh & Easy.
The company's third-largest shareholder was quoted this weekend in the British media saying Tesco should focus on its core supermarket business in Britain. Other investors were more blunt in their assessment of the U.S. foray, with one anonymous shareholder labeling Fresh & Easy a "disaster."
Tesco opened Fresh & Easy to enormous fanfare in late 2007, boldly announcing plans to spend $2 billion to open hundreds of midsize grocery stores throughout California and the Southwest. The stores sell a variety of fresh organic foods and prepared meals at reasonable prices.
Fresh & Easy has 151 stores in California and 45 in Nevada and Arizona.
The grocery chain's early results fell short of expectations, and despite improvements, some analysts say it has a long way to go.
Some experts have already predicted that Fresh & Easy will never be able to validate the $2 billion that was initially invested.
In part because of the competitive California grocery market, it's doubtful Fresh & Easy will ever generate enough profit to validate the $2 billion in sunken costs.
"There's no question that it's a disaster," said Jim Prevor, president of Perishable Pundit, a website that follows the fresh food industry.. "Even if they manage to turn it around and make a few pennies … they have bigger problems because the UK market is in big trouble, and a lot of shareholders are saying it's time to cut bait and take care of business" in its much larger British market.
Fresh & Easy counters these arguments by saying that its sales have been rising and it is on target to break even by end of its fiscal year, February 2013.
"We have a clear target for break even, and in January we reported that we have continued our strong run of form," a company spokesman said in a statement.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2019-07-19 Sainsbury’s: store sign 'Signsbury’s' to encourage sign language
- 2019-07-19 Tops: delivery service expanded in New York, Pennsylvania and Vermont
- 2019-07-18 Eroski has signed a refinancing agreement with creditors
- 2019-07-18 Giant Eagle has partnered with Grabango to create a no-wait checkout service at its stores
- 2019-07-17 Investec Asset Management has bought a controlling stake in supermarket chain Spinneys Egypt
- 2019-07-17 Wegmans Food Markets and Teamsters Local 118: tentative agreement
- 2019-07-16 Jumbo has announced the acquisition of supermarket chain Agrimarkt
- 2019-07-16 Food 4 Less: home delivery
- 2019-07-15 Publix: distribution center gets green light
- 2019-07-15 First time since Fukushima nuclear disaster: supermarket opens in Namie town
- 2019-07-12 SPAR International: Entry into Kosovo retail market
- 2019-07-12 Costco: June sales results
- 2019-07-11 Carrefour sells stake in Cargo to Argan
- 2019-07-11 Walmart: $10bln surprise after buying Flipkart
- 2019-07-10 Coles: strategic partnership with Microsoft
- 2019-07-10 K-VA-T: unified point-of-sale system to all of its Food City supermarkets
- 2019-07-09 Competition watchdog has blocked Sainsbury’s and Asda from joining forces for 10 years
- 2019-07-09 Amazon employees in Minnesota are planning a strike
- 2019-07-08 HappyFresh: from online sales to physical retail market
- 2019-07-08 Wade's Supermarket: a third of its size after more than 60 years