- Autonomous Greenhouse Manager
- Sales & Product representative Pot & Garden USA
- Supervisor International Horticultural Projects (USA)
- Director Of Growing - Carleton (MI) USA
- Greenhouse Manager - Cleburne (TX) USA
- Sales Manager
- Growing Manager young vegetable plants
- Sales Agents / Representatives - Germany
- Lead Grower California USA
- Produce Construction Manager - USA
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
US: Fresh & Easy comes under pressure from parent Tesco
Large shareholders, looking for Tesco to show recovery after recent poor results, have asked the company to pull out of Fresh & Easy.
The company's third-largest shareholder was quoted this weekend in the British media saying Tesco should focus on its core supermarket business in Britain. Other investors were more blunt in their assessment of the U.S. foray, with one anonymous shareholder labeling Fresh & Easy a "disaster."
Tesco opened Fresh & Easy to enormous fanfare in late 2007, boldly announcing plans to spend $2 billion to open hundreds of midsize grocery stores throughout California and the Southwest. The stores sell a variety of fresh organic foods and prepared meals at reasonable prices.
Fresh & Easy has 151 stores in California and 45 in Nevada and Arizona.
The grocery chain's early results fell short of expectations, and despite improvements, some analysts say it has a long way to go.
Some experts have already predicted that Fresh & Easy will never be able to validate the $2 billion that was initially invested.
In part because of the competitive California grocery market, it's doubtful Fresh & Easy will ever generate enough profit to validate the $2 billion in sunken costs.
"There's no question that it's a disaster," said Jim Prevor, president of Perishable Pundit, a website that follows the fresh food industry.. "Even if they manage to turn it around and make a few pennies … they have bigger problems because the UK market is in big trouble, and a lot of shareholders are saying it's time to cut bait and take care of business" in its much larger British market.
Fresh & Easy counters these arguments by saying that its sales have been rising and it is on target to break even by end of its fiscal year, February 2013.
"We have a clear target for break even, and in January we reported that we have continued our strong run of form," a company spokesman said in a statement.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2020-10-21 Metro AG: Acquisition in Portugal
- 2020-10-21 First Arizona stores for ALDI
- 2020-10-20 Asda launches its first sustainability trial store
- 2020-10-20 Albertsons is piloting pickup lockers
- 2020-10-19 Alibaba will invest $3.6bln to acquire a controlling stake in hypermarket operator Sun Art
- 2020-10-19 Farmstead coming to the East Coast
- 2020-10-16 Meijer: Free pickup service
- 2020-10-16 Carrefour: New grocery delivery service in Poland
- 2020-10-15 Carrefour: Acquisition of Bioazur
- 2020-10-15 Acme Markets plans to acquire 27 Kings Food Markets and Balducci’s Food Lover’s Markets
- 2020-10-14 Monoprix: First unstaffed store
- 2020-10-14 Smart & Final: Store planning and workforce management improvement
- 2020-10-13 Waitrose & Partners: First e-commerce platform launched outside of the UK
- 2020-10-13 Florida gets 4 new Winn-Dixie stores
- 2020-10-12 Tesco will be recruiting more than 11,000 temporary colleagues
- 2020-10-12 Amazon: Stake in SpartanNash
- 2020-10-09 Mercadona plans to open four more supermarkets in Portugal
- 2020-10-09 Dollar General has rolled out its newest retail store concept
- 2020-10-08 Southeastern Grocers plans to expand Fresco y Más into Southwest Florida
- 2020-10-08 Abu Dhabi Investment Authority is to invest in Reliance Retail Ventures