- Head, Department of Horticulture and Landscape Architecture
- General Manager - Oxnard (CA) USA
- Trader Fruit - Rungis (France)
- Fruit & vegetables Export - Import manager
- Import-Export senior Sales Agents to Europe - Barcelona, Spain
- Teamleader Agronomist Vertical Farm - Poeldijk, The Netherlands
- Internationaal Verkoper / Trader AGF - Barendrecht
- Greenhouse Installation Specialist
- Greenhouse Assistant Grower - Abbotsford (B.C.) Canada
- QA Officer Retail - Maasdijk
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
US: Fresh & Easy comes under pressure from parent Tesco
Large shareholders, looking for Tesco to show recovery after recent poor results, have asked the company to pull out of Fresh & Easy.
The company's third-largest shareholder was quoted this weekend in the British media saying Tesco should focus on its core supermarket business in Britain. Other investors were more blunt in their assessment of the U.S. foray, with one anonymous shareholder labeling Fresh & Easy a "disaster."
Tesco opened Fresh & Easy to enormous fanfare in late 2007, boldly announcing plans to spend $2 billion to open hundreds of midsize grocery stores throughout California and the Southwest. The stores sell a variety of fresh organic foods and prepared meals at reasonable prices.
Fresh & Easy has 151 stores in California and 45 in Nevada and Arizona.
The grocery chain's early results fell short of expectations, and despite improvements, some analysts say it has a long way to go.
Some experts have already predicted that Fresh & Easy will never be able to validate the $2 billion that was initially invested.
In part because of the competitive California grocery market, it's doubtful Fresh & Easy will ever generate enough profit to validate the $2 billion in sunken costs.
"There's no question that it's a disaster," said Jim Prevor, president of Perishable Pundit, a website that follows the fresh food industry.. "Even if they manage to turn it around and make a few pennies … they have bigger problems because the UK market is in big trouble, and a lot of shareholders are saying it's time to cut bait and take care of business" in its much larger British market.
Fresh & Easy counters these arguments by saying that its sales have been rising and it is on target to break even by end of its fiscal year, February 2013.
"We have a clear target for break even, and in January we reported that we have continued our strong run of form," a company spokesman said in a statement.
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2019-01-18 Groupe Casino: sales up in France, despite 'gilets jaunes' protests
- 2019-01-18 Report: Amazon's online grocery sales growth slowed in 2018
- 2019-01-17 Marks & Spencer: next 17 stores to close
- 2019-01-17 Walmart: high-tech consolidation center debut
- 2019-01-16 Carrefour: first French retailer to use artificial intelligence to optimise supply chain
- 2019-01-16 Albertsons: Q3 results
- 2019-01-15 Whole Foods Market plans to discontinue the 365 store format
- 2019-01-15 Amazon Germany: to stop Dash
- 2019-01-14 Intermarché: 50th anniversary
- 2019-01-14 Albertsons: $660mln through sale-leaseback of 5 distribution centers
- 2019-01-11 Tesco: like-for-like group sales up 0.5% in Q3
- 2019-01-11 Costco: December sales results
- 2019-01-10 Sainsbury’s: like-for-like sales down 1.1% in Q3
- 2019-01-10 Sprouts: expansion to 3 more states
- 2019-01-09 Alibaba has taken over streaming analytics startup Data Artisans
- 2019-01-09 Walmart is piloting grocery delivery via autonomous vehicles
- 2019-01-08 Aldi Nord and Aldi Süd launch campaign to promote conscious nutrition
- 2019-01-08 Kroger and Microsoft collaborating to develop a connected store pilot
- 2019-01-07 Kaufland Poland to modernise stores and expand own-brand range
- 2019-01-07 Ahold Delhaize acquires supermarket pioneer King Kullen