Salinas, CA-based Markon gives a view--live from the fields--regarding lettuce quality in the Arizona/California desert growing region.
Desert weather has improved and allowed for increased growth this week.
- Varying levels of epidermal blistering, peeling and mildew pressure are still present in some lots.
- Harvesting crews are sorting, selecting and trimming outer leaves from various lettuce crops to optimize quality.
- Most defects are being eliminated or significantly reduced.
- First Crop lettuce items are available with good quality and weights.
- Inspectors continue to work with suppliers to secure the best lots for orders.