- Salesperson - Beamsville (ON) Canada
- Chief Executive Officer - Tropical North Queensland (Tully) Australia
- Head Grower in USA
- Commercial Manager | Cut Flowers - Kenya
- Market Access & Quality Systems Manager | Fruit - Bologna, Italy
- Business Development Manager - Madrid, Spain
- Commercial Manager - Amsterdam / Europe
- Regional Sales Representative/Manager - Southwest Region (USA)
- Sales Manager
- Fruit Export Junior Sales Manager (Europe Division)
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Dark Sigatoka threatens banana cultivation in Colombia
Now, the first one has shown up and it's quite intense.
According to a note from the Agro-Livestock Insitute in Colombia (Instituto Colombiano Agropecuario - ICA) with the help of Inagru and Augura, started a health plan action in 23,000 hectares of banana harvested in Urabá.
It's about controlling the disease know as Dark Sigatoka, that grew as a consequence of the winter wave.
According to Carlos Alberto Soto, sub-manager of Vegetable Protection at ICA, this disease diminishes banana production and damages incomes of 6,458 small and medium producers that support themselves by growing bananas in this area of the country.
"A defective control of Sigatoka could risk the permanence of Colombia in the international markets as a good quality banana exporters", he added.
Actions are directed to protect the production in this area, where there are 38,000 harvested hectares.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2020-01-24 Paraguay broke its banana export record in 2019
- 2020-01-23 Many banana plantations closed for Chinese New Year holiday
- 2020-01-23 The banana is the king of fruits in Mexico
- 2020-01-23 IICA, Bayer, and the fruit industry team up to fight the Fusarium worldwide
- 2020-01-23 Mexico makes its first shipment of bananas to China
- 2020-01-20 Overall banana imports for all importing countries rose 2.5% since 2014
- 2020-01-20 Cameroon: Despite CDC’s activity shutdown, banana exports were more dynamic in 2019 than in 2018
- 2020-01-20 Mexican bananas to be exported to China for first time
- 2020-01-17 Ecuador still hasn't authorized the importation of banana varieties that are resistant to the Fusarium
- 2020-01-17 Delhaize the first retailer to introduce CO² neutral bananas
- 2020-01-17 Banana killing fungal disease TR4: the day after tomorrow
- 2020-01-15 Banana prices stablizing before Chinese New Year
- 2020-01-15 Partnership announced with focus on accelerating banana breeding
- 2020-01-14 Guatemala and Nicaragua go over their banana import trigger quota
- 2020-01-13 "In bananas and tropical fruit, good ripening is essential"
- 2020-01-13 Vietnamese real estate giant investing in banana growing
- 2020-01-10 Cameroon's banana exports up 1,036 tons year-on-year in December 2019
- 2020-01-10 Rain and snow in north China is bad for conditions in banana production areas
- 2020-01-09 Latin American banana growers join against EU pesticide restrictions
- 2020-01-09 Portugal finds large cocaine haul stashed in banana shipment