Locally grown avocados on South African shelves year-round

Avocado enthusiasts can now find the fruit on South African shelves all year round, thanks to 10 new varietals launched by one of the country's leading producers. The South African avocado market has primarily been dominated by the dark-skinned Hass and Hass-type and the green-skinned Fuerte avocados.

According to the South African Avocado Growers' Association, 80% of avocado trees produced in South African nurseries are the dark-skinned Hass and Hass-type. The rest of the 20% is made up mainly of the Fuerte.

Recently, ZZ2 Afrikado has launched its Harmony avocados in the country, which will see a range of locally grown avocados available all year round. This will ease much of the logistical and cost pressures associated with importing avocados from foreign markets.  

Businessinsider.co.za reports that, although South Africa has about 800 hectares of new plantings annually, the country still cannot meet the growing demand for avocados. At the start of the year, South Africa had to source its avocados from Tanzania.

Publication date:

Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here

Other news in this sector:

Sign up for our daily Newsletter and stay up to date with all the latest news!

Subscribe I am already a subscriber