Increased sales, the ongoing expansion of Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit production and great quality fruit, underpinned by strong international demand, have delivered a record result for Zespri’s 2020/21 season, returning record per tray returns across all categories.
Released today, Zespri’s 2020/21 Financial Results show total global revenue generated by fruit sales reached NZ$3.58 billion, up 14 percent on the previous year, while total global operating revenue increased by 16 percent to NZ$3.89 billion. Global sales volumes were up 10 percent on the previous year to 181.5 million trays.
Direct returns to the New Zealand industry increased by 15 percent to $2.25 billion in spite of the considerable uncertainty generated by the COVID-19 pandemic. Earnings are spread through many regional communities including the Bay of Plenty, Northland, Nelson, Gisborne, and the Waikato, providing support to people, communities and businesses across the country.
There were strong returns on both a per tray and per hectare basis:
- The average return for Zespri Green per tray increased to $7.51, with the average return per hectare reaching $76,722.
- Zespri Organic Green reached an average return per tray of $10.53, and an average per hectare return of $66,453.
- The average return for Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit increased to $12.46 per tray, and the average return per hectare was also a record $177,846.
- Zespri Organic SunGold Kiwifruit saw a per tray return of $15.36, with the average per hectare return reaching $158,599.
- Zespri Sweet Green achieved an average return per tray of $10.14 and an average return per hectare of $56,853.
Zespri’s Non-New Zealand Supply sales increased to $472.8 million while Zespri’s net profit after tax is $290.5 million, up from $200.8 million on the previous year. Zespri Chairman Bruce Cameron says the results reflect the continued strong demand for Zespri Kiwifruit around the world, boosted by the industry’s hard work and investment to increase demand and supply.
For more information:
Tel: +64 210641808