International Banana Day will take place on April 21st. To commemorate this occasion, the Ecuadorian Banana Cluster is organizing "Banana Day 2021", an online event about the banana industry and its future, analyzing the main challenges and opportunities in this industry.
The event, 'When the Farm to Fork goes Bananas', will be divided into three panels and feature speakers from European institutions, academics and scientists.
The April 21st event examines the banana industry and its future and will examine the main challenges and opportunities in this industry.
Panel 1: Different regions, different needs: for an agriculture adapted to local realities
- Pr. Ir. Dr. Gert Kema, professor of tropical plant pathology, Ph.D., Wageningen University
- Juan Ignacio Zoido Álvarez, member of the European People's Party group
- Koen van Dyck, head of unit "Bilateral Relations" at DG SANTE
Panel 2: Shared responsibility: for responsible participation of the whole value chain
- Carolina Dawson, market expert at the Center for International Cooperation on Agricultural Research Development (CIRAD)
- Mazaly Aguilar, member of the European Conservatives and Reformists group
Panel 3: Future of bananas: an inclusive platform to accelerate the transition
- Pr. Ir. Dr. Rony Swennen, IITA, and emeritus professor from UK Leuven
- Luis Carazo, head of unit "The Americas" at DG AGRI
- Charles-Michel Geurts, ambassador to the EU Delegation in Ecuador
The audience can ask questions of the speakers and the event will have simultaneous translation in English and Spanish.
The event takes place Wednesday, April 21, 2021 9.00-11.00hs (Quito time), 16.00-18.00hs (Brussels time). Register here for the event.
For more information:
Juan José Pons
Ecuadorian Banana Cluster