At the February 18 Council virtual meeting, the Mushroom Council® elected new officers for 2021.
- Chairperson: Sonya Beltran, director of operations, Masda Mushrooms/First Generation Farms, Toughkenamon, Pa.
- Vice-Chairperson: Curtis Jurgensmeyer, CEO, J-M Farms, Miami, Okla.
- Secretary: Emily Bettencourt, director of quality assurance and safety, Global Mushrooms, Gilroy, Calif.
- Treasurer: Mark Moran, Kaolin Mushrooms/South Mill Champs, Kennett Square, Pa.
The nine-member Council is comprised of eight domestic growers and one importer representing four regions. The program's purpose is to maintain and expand existing mushroom markets and uses. Members are:
Region 1 (Includes all states except for Calif. and Pa.)
- Curtis Jurgensmeyer, J-M Farms Inc.
- Edward M. Wuensch III, Kitchen Pride Mushroom Farm
- M. Fletcher Street, Ostrom Mushrooms
Region 2 (Includes Pennsylvania)
- Joe Caldwell, Giorgi Mushroom Company
- Sonya Beltran, Masda Mushrooms/First Generation Farms
- Meghan Klotzbach, C.P. Yeatman & Sons/Mother Earth
- Mark Moran, South Mill/Champs Mushrooms
Region 3 (Includes Calif.)
- Emily Bettencourt, Global Mushrooms
Region 4 (Includes importers)
- Jane Rhyno, Highline Mushrooms
Mushroom Council calls for nominations for 2022-2024 term
A call for nominations for three-year terms beginning January 1, 2022, is now open. Completed nomination forms must be emailed or postmarked no later than May 1, 2021. The regions with positions available are:
- Region 2 (Pa.) – two open positions
- Region 3 (Calif.) – one open position