Teams across the country are forming and counting down to February 13, the kick-off of the Walk with a Doc® Grand Canyon Adventure, energized by the education program from the Hass Avocado Board, called Fresh Avocados – Love One Today®. Sharing a commitment to invest in heart health, racers of all ages will be stepping up movement and nutritious eating during the 14-day virtual trek that will span nearly 70 miles. A link to free registration as well as delicious avocado recipes to jump start planning of post workout snacks can be found at www.LoveOneToday.com/WWAD.
Fresh Avocados - Love One Today teamed up with the nonprofit Walk with a Doc in response to the Surgeon General’s recent Call to Action to make blood pressure control a national priority. It is alarming that though high blood pressure is a major preventable risk factor for heart disease and stroke, nearly half of U.S. adults suffer from it and only about 1 in 4 have it under control.1 Collaborations like the Grand Canyon Adventure are in keeping with the Surgeon General’s strategies to cultivate opportunities for physical activity and education about healthy foods to reduce health risks.
“We are excited to add energy and education to this two-week adventure,” said Emiliano Escobedo, Executive Director of Fresh Avocados - Love One Today. “Every step of the way, we will be supporting racers with motivational nutrition chats led by health professionals, prompts to set healthy goals like cutting back on saturated fat and eating more good fats, as well as quick and easy recipes for adding heart healthy avocados to everyday snacks.”
Additional campaign details:
- Live kick-off event on Facebook on February 13 at 10am EST featuring a welcome message from Love One Today.
- Three videos featuring WWAD volunteer health professionals sharing education about the role of nutrition when it comes to heart health and how fresh avocados fit in
- A joint handout featuring the latest avocado research for health care professionals.
- Media interviews featuring cardiologist and WWAD founder Dr. David Sabgir.
- Ongoing social media and public relations support.
- Branded digital postcards, medals and certificates to recognize racers for their participation.
- Free registration courtesy of Love One Today.
The Grand Canyon Adventure is an exciting and creative extension of Walk with a Doc’s ongoing commitment to provide safe and convenient ways to soak up motivation and engage in conversation that inspires heart healthy living. Through its 425 chapters in the United States and estimated 10,000 volunteers, WWAD reaches an estimated 200,000 consumers annually. Celebrating 15 years encouraging activity, the nonprofit recently expanded its focus to include the complementary benefits of nutrition, leading with how heart-healthy, fresh avocados provide naturally good fats and are cholesterol-, sugar- and sodium- free.
To get ready to race, visit www.LoveOneToday.com/WWAD.
For more information: