Ledesma leads Argentina's citrus exports

"The European ban ended up being an opportunity to enter new markets"

In 2020, Ledesma positioned itself as the leading exporter of citrus in Argentina. Despite the challenge posed by the temporary closure of the European market in mid-August, the company managed to export 27,943 tons of fruit. 85% of this quantity (23,845 tons) corresponded to oranges, with the Valencia variety as the star product, and the remaining 15% (4,537 tons) were lemons.

"This setback implied a great productive and commercial effort to redirect more than 8,000 tons of Valencia oranges that were destined for that market to other countries, such as Iraq, United States, Ukraine, Belarus, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Malaysia, Kuwait, and Bangladesh,” sources from the company highlighted. "The European ban ended up being an opportunity to enter new markets and leave a very good impression on the quality and health of our fruit," they added.

In 2020, Ledesma produced a total of 90,628 tons of citrus in the provinces of Jujuy and Salta, where it owns 3,000 hectares of fruit plantations. Oranges accounted for 55% of the total production, lemons for 27%, and grapefruits for the remaining 18%.

In its juice and oil plant, Ledesma processed 67,888 tons of citrus fruits to produce almost 4,537 tons of juice and nearly 357 tons of essential oils.

In 2019, 63% of the orange and grapefruit juices were sold abroad. Lemon juice is almost exclusively destined for export.

Last year, as part of the company's commitment to its fruit and juice business, Ledesma invested 1.1 million dollars in a grader for the selection of fresh fruit. They also approved investing 600,000 dollars to continue renovating the fruit preselection area.

 

Source: eleconomista.com.ar 


Publication date:



Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here


Other news in this sector:


© FreshPlaza.com 2021

Sign up for our daily Newsletter and stay up to date with all the latest news!

Subscribe I am already a subscriber