Persimmons ready for commercialization

The commercialization of Gruppo Alegra persimmons is about to start for both the soft-fleshed Loto di Romagna and firm-fleshed Rojo Brillante varieties. They will be sold through big retail chains, wholesale markets and retail stores.

"We are currently collecting the fruits. After detanning, our persimmons will be available to consumers both in Italy and abroad. The 2020 campaign has been affected by the frost in spring, which compromised part of the production, and by the usual drops in September. Preliminary estimates talk about 2,000 tons of Rojo Brillante and 3,000 tons of Loto di Romagna," explains Enrico Bucchi, sales manager at Alegra. 

"90% of soft-fleshed persimmons are destined to the domestic market, while the remaining 10% goes to Switzerland and Austria in particular, where persimmons are much appreciated by adult consumers of Italian origin. Only 50% of Rojo Brillante will be distributed on the domestic market, as half of the fruits harvested will be destined to our clients in Europe."

Most of the produce comes from Emilia-Romagna but, over the past few years, Gruppo Alegra decided to focus on other production areas as well. "Emilia-Romagna is traditionally a persimmon producer, but our choice to invest in Rojo Brillante in Calabria represents a precise strategy: this way, we can extend the commercialization window to January, while it would otherwise end in December. We can thus overlap with the Spanish calendar and guarantee supplies so that our clients do not have to reach out to Spanish suppliers when the campaign ends."

Businesses part of Gruppo Alegra meet various needs: traditional, organic and premium produce. 

Valfrutta Fresco is in charge with the commercialization and promotion of the latter. "Our persimmons will be available all over the domestic territory and abroad through main retail chains. The soft-fleshed variety will be available in punnets containing two fruits with a weight of 500 grams."  

"This year, the packaging will boast a new label which, together with the Valfrutta Fresco brand, highlights the Emilia-Romagna origin of our products. Traditional three-fruit trays will be available in wholesale markets, mainly destined to retail stores. As for Rojo Brillante, in addition to two-fruit punnets, fruits will also be available loose identified by the Valfrutta Persimmon sticker." 

The organic segment will be managed by Brio, a business unit specializing in the production and commercialization of organic products." We select the best persimmons from our companies in Calabria, Emilia-Romagna and Veneto. Brio organic persimmons will be available as private labels, while Rojo Brillante fruits will be available under the Alce Nero brand in fully-recyclable plastic-free packaging containing two fruits weighing 600 grams in total," concludes Brio sales manager Mauro Laghi.

Alegra
Via G Galilei 5,
48018 Faenza (RA) - Italy
Tel.: +39 0546624401
Website: www.alegrait.com


Publication date:
© /



Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here


Other news in this sector:


© FreshPlaza.com 2020

Sign up for our daily Newsletter and stay up to date with all the latest news!

Subscribe I am already a subscriber