Spain

Citrus production in Huelva expected to grow by 10% this campaign

According to the first estimate from the Citrus Growers Association of the Province of Huelva (ACPH), the province's citrus production in the 2020/2021 campaign will grow by around 10% compared to the previous one and exceed 571,000 tons.

The president of the association, Lorenzo Reyes, said that the forecast is that the orange production will reach 250,269 tons, which entails an increase of 8% compared to the previous campaign, while that of mandarins is estimated to amount to about 321,325 tons, 12% more than in 2019.

Reyes hopes that the current campaign, which has just started with the harvest of the extra-early clementines, will develop without either marketing or weather-related incidents.

As highlighted by the president of the association, "it seems that the campaign has had a good start, since everything points to the varieties not overlapping, and so far, the product's output has been adequate."

In Huelva there are about 18,000 hectares devoted to citrus fruits, 45% of which (8,100 hectares) are used for oranges and the remaining 55% (9,900 hectares) for small fruit. The production period begins in September and ends in June.

The Citrus Growers Association of the Province of Huelva is made up of 240 companies that have their plantations in 500 farms where more than 40 different citrus varieties are grown.

 

Source: agrodiariohuelva.es


Publication date:



Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here


Other news in this sector:


© FreshPlaza.com 2020

Sign up for our daily Newsletter and stay up to date with all the latest news!

Subscribe I am already a subscriber