Panamanian banana exports to Asia and the United States increase

Panamanian banana exports to Asia and the United States have increased in 2020 despite the global expansion of COVID-19. Last week, the Banapiña Panama SA company shipped 36 containers - with 960 boxes of bananas of 40 pounds each - to the markets of Hong Kong, Korea, and the United States.

According to the National Banana Directorate of the Ministry of Agricultural Development (MIDA), the shipment was made up of high-quality Cavendish bananas, 80% of which were destined for Asia and the remaining 20% to the US market.

Between January and July, the Banapiña SA, Chiquita Panama, and Coobana companies exported more than 10.9 million boxes of bananas from Panama and generated more than 10,000 jobs in the country.

It should be noted that the value of banana exports went from 23.9 million dollars in the first quarter of 2018 to 29.9 million dollars in the same period of 2019, showing an increase of 24.7%, according to data from the National Institute of Statistics and Censuses.

 

Source: radiopanama.com.pa 


Publication date:



Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here


Other news in this sector:


© FreshPlaza.com 2020

Sign up for our daily Newsletter and stay up to date with all the latest news!

Subscribe I am already a subscriber