A coronavirus outbreak has made it necessary to bring the region of Segrià, in the province of Lleida, into lockdown. This is the Spanish region with the highest number of sweet summer fruit trees and the greatest production. Last year, some 400 million kilos of nectarines and peaches were harvested here.
Despite this, the general director of the Catalan Fruit Business Association (Afrucat), Manel Simón, said that the ongoing fruit-picking campaign won't be affected. Simón said that the campaign is currently "at its peak", as the weather this summer has caused it to start about fifteen days earlier than in previous years.
According to the director of Afrucat, some 30,000 temporary workers or discontinuous permanent staff are employed this campaign. They will be able to continue their work, since the rules of this lockdown won't paralyze the activity, will allow the mobility of workers, even if they are from other regions, and materials like plastic packaging or boxes will still arrive from suppliers.
Simón stressed that all producers in the sector are very strictly implementing the preventive measures against the coronavirus, so infections in the workplace "are very rare."
In his opinion, these factors invite us to foresee that the development of the fruit campaign won't be affected and that it will end on August 15.
Source: Efe / lavanguardia.com